Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a new range finder
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I use a G7 now. Best there is when it comes to sensible long range shooting.

I will sell my Leica 1200 lrf scanner for $325 plus shipping, first come, first served.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13329 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
I use a G7 now. Best there is when it comes to sensible long range shooting.

I will sell my Leica 1200 lrf scanner for $325 plus shipping, first come, first served.

Rangefinders are like guns; no one model is best for everything. I leave Sat for an elk hunt in the Selway and will bring my Leica 1200 - fits in shirt pocket.

But when I rock shoot at 800 yards, the G7 is the ticket. Went out today and shot with my .220 Swift and a 300 RUM at that range. Interestingly, you can pick up the effect of spin drift at that range when there is no wind.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rangefinders are not like guns, or even like rifles. Big Grin

One rangefinder can do it all, unlike one rifle.

If you like the Leica for portability, then fine.

Use it. It's enough for a lot of situations.

But I don't find the few extra square inches or ounces of G7 to be a problem.

And it, unlike the Leica, can do everything reasonably necessary, for any situation.

Including the solving of complex ballistic, geographic and meteorological problems, all with the push of one button.

No matter where or what the quarry.

Mike

Posts: 13329 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rangefinders are not like guns, or even like rifles. Big Grin

One rangefinder can do it all, unlike one rifle.

If you like the Leica for portability, then fine.

Use it. It's enough for a lot of situations.

But I don't find the few extra square inches or ounces of G7 to be a problem.

And it, unlike the Leica, can do everything reasonably necessary, for any situation.

Including the solving of complex ballistic, geographic and meteorological problems, all with the push of one button.

No matter where or what the quarry.

I have no argument with what you posted, but the G7 is big enough wearing it around your neck is a pain in the neck, which is why I have my Leica 1200. I also have the older model Leica I bring on my MN deer hunts, where I will never shoot beyond 400 yards and where complex ballistic solutions are not required and I don't have to worry about losing a $1700 (or whatever I paid for it) rangefinder.

The G7 is great, but it won't make you a great long range shot unless you get out and practice a lot under windy conditions. It may give you the drift, but it doesn't measure the wind. For wind, there is no substitute for experience. In my experience, complex ballistic problems are still secondary to the problems of wind.

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mdvjrp93:
I'm looking for a good 1000 yard range finder.
It will be used for target and hunting. I would like to stay under $700. I would appericate any and all advice.

Too bad there isn't a laser-based wind-drift meter yet...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14331 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is; they are used on wind turbines to pitch the blades into the wind. Larry Ellison used one on his America's Cup race. Unfortunately, they are heavy and bulky, and cost about a quarter of million.

I am guessing the technology will be out within my lifetime to see it, but not sure it is a good thing. Then again, maybe it would be, as shooters who never practice past 300 will be in disbelief at the drift at 800 yards.

The reason I live in the West is I have plenty of space to practice shooting in the wind. Even when I lived in MN, I could shoot 700 or 800 yards, but it was down a dead end logging trail or other path cut through the trees - making realistic wind practice just about impossible.

one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
Double barreled rifle - fire first shot - second barrel tracks bullet by radar and fires second shot when first bullet hits compensating for drift.

Somebody get busy and build one Big Grin

Bob Shaffer

Posts: 1946 | Location: Michigun | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted Hide Post
I'm a retired vet so a G7 is out of my range. I will probably never shoot past 400yards on a deer or 600 on a groundhog. Right now it is between the licia and bushnell binos in 10 power. I figure you get 2 for one. Iwopuld greatly apperciate any advise I can get on the two.

1 shot 1 thrill

Posts: 340 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 14 December 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup, the wind is THE enemy at long range, although not so much out to 500 or so, as long as it can be read correctly.

Past that, there is real risk that it can't be read at all. Even with a spotter, it can end up being pure guesswork. Not to mention the awful effects of mirage at such ranges!

But I have shot, and would only shoot, at such extreme long ranges at paper and steel and only for fun, not while hunting.

I like the G7 because it automatically compensates for altitude and angle of incline or decline, and, if one can read the wind correctly, it can calculate proper Kentucky windage in MOA.

BTW, I like the Leica for its portability, too. I have used it in situations where it has been more than enough. But my point is that as an all around instrument, and especially for mountain hunting, it doesn't measure up to the G7.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yup, the wind is THE enemy at long range, although not so much out to 500 or so, as long as it can be read correctly.

Past that, there is real risk that it can't be read at all. Even with a spotter, it can end up being pure guesswork. Not to mention the awful effects of mirage at such ranges!

But I have shot, and would only shoot, at such extreme long ranges at paper and steel and only for fun, not while hunting.

I like the G7 because it automatically compensates for altitude and angle of incline or decline, and, if one can read the wind correctly, it can calculate proper Kentucky windage in MOA.

BTW, I like the Leica for its portability, too. I have used it in situations where it has been more than enough. But my point is that as an all around instrument, and especially for mountain hunting, it doesn't measure up to the G7.

I just got back from an 800 yard rock shooting session, where conditions were pretty gentle - wind was about .8-1.5 on my anenomemeter, could read the mirage going left to right, and could see a bush near my target blowing gently. I held between .25 and .75 MOA and come pretty damn close to the 2 inch circle I was aiming at.

BUT, I was shooting a .338 Edge and .338 Lapua with 300 Bergers...what a difference that bullet makes at long range.

Too bad the guns are so heavy, but like you, I don't really like the idea of shooting game that far (time of flight is a real issue even if you read everything perfectly). But targets are real hoot.

I sometimes shoot in the mountains, and it is here that the G7 really shines. Blows everything else out of the water. The combination of lower pressure and angles makes it too complex for any standard RF.

In Africa and AK if you draw blood, you tag it or lose quota (and pay for it). I have noticed a lot less long range shooting in those areas.

One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted Hide Post
I don't see a reason not to shoot at ground hogs or coyotes at long range. Deer are a whole different story, but to each his own. I gather that you both think the lecia is the way to go.

1 shot 1 thrill

Posts: 340 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 14 December 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Out to 400 or even 500 the Leica does fine. Over flat ground, it works even farther.

As Mike points out, the real area where the G7 shines is in giving you the exact MOA drop (or equivalent range) when shooting at steep angles, higher altitude, etc. I tested the G7 at 2000 feet, then took it up to 7000 feet and shot at a rock at what appeared to be a steep angle. The rock was 625 yards away, but the G7 said to hold for 575. I held 3 MOA of the wind and hit pretty much where I was aiming at; I have a movie of it that I could send, but not much to look at except the bullet trace and the puff hitting the rock.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy binos with rangefinder built in. You will be much happier. Bushnell are the least expensive I think.

Posts: 2827 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After reading this, I'm wondering if there has been a Poll here for the farthest anyone has actually killed big game...you know 200, 300...up to 1000 yds(??). I'm betting a 500 yd range finder is more than enough.

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted Hide Post
JonP you probably right, but to range deer at say 5-600 yards you need a 12-1600 range finder. That's why I ask about 1600 We have some shots on bean fields that can easily get to 600 yards. I could set up closer but where's the fun in that.

1 shot 1 thrill