Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a new range finder
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted
I'm looking for a good 1000 yard range finder.
It will be used for target and hunting. I would like to stay under $700. I would appericate any and all advice.

1 shot 1 thrill

Posts: 340 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 14 December 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Get the Leica 1600. It may be about $100 over your max but it's worth it. Reliably ranges to 1600 and a bit beyond in clear conditions.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1169 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would try to find a good used Swarovski 8 x30 Rangefinder. I believe they have a lifetime guarantee so you don't have to worry about that, and the one I have is extremely accurate way past the 1000 yard mark.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get a Vortex Ranger 1000. About $380 or so retail, and mine runs heads up with my Leica CRF 1200. The Vortex has angle compensation as well as a variable intensity feature on the lighting of the reticle and good glass. A LOT of bang for the buck.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lindy2:
I would try to find a good used Swarovski 8 x30 Rangefinder. I believe they have a lifetime guarantee so you don't have to worry about that, and the one I have is extremely accurate way past the 1000 yard mark.

tu2+1 on the Swarovski. I have used mine out to 1800 yards with good results.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
i doubt you will be hunting out to 1000 yards and 1000yard targets are already ranged- so why do you need a 1000 yard rangefinder? just curious....

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13137 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We had a number of different range finders at camp once.

We tried them all at different distances.

I think non were more than a maximum of 5 meters apart in their readings.

Just got one that reads to 3000 meters.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66908 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted Hide Post
Jdollar there is a difference in a need and a want. Not all target shooting is done on a fully set up range. In the mountains where I hunt and the bean fields I hunt over you can shoot a long ways. I never said I would be hunting that far but as a Master Chief Seal once told me better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

1 shot 1 thrill

Posts: 340 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 14 December 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I don't have what you are looking for, but if you ever have a need for range finder which works out to 18,000 meters, I have one of those, its pedestal, metal case, and calibration stake. It is a military surplus Swiss artillery range finder and works great. Frank Martinez has it right now. I want $500 + shipping for it.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like my Bushnell 1600 works well shop the internet and you might find one in your price range

Posts: 19355 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leica. In any case, keep it simple.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm hesitant to add up all the money I've spent of rangefinders. Lets just say that it adds up to a lot more than I paid for the G7 that puts them all to shame. (That I have owned)I could have saved a lot of money just going straight to the end of the story. Same with optics, but everyone has to learn that one for themselves.

Cut whatever claims the manufacturer makes in half or even 1/3 if you really need it to work. If you need 500 it better say 1000 or 1500 or you will be cursing sooner or later. Probably sooner.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dogleg:
I'm hesitant to add up all the money I've spent of rangefinders. Lets just say that it adds up to a lot more than I paid for the G7 that puts them all to shame. (That I have owned)I could have saved a lot of money just going straight to the end of the story. Same with optics, but everyone has to learn that one for themselves.

Cut whatever claims the manufacturer makes in half or even 1/3 if you really need it to work. If you need 500 it better say 1000 or 1500 or you will be cursing sooner or later. Probably sooner.

You are right about the G7 Dogleg; nothing else is even remotely as good.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted Hide Post
Thanks AZ we have talked before. I appericate your input.

1 shot 1 thrill

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
A buddy has the G7 and it is too big for my taste. But if you are really into the long range shooting the features are way cool. I am a huge Swaro fan but I sold the rangefinder as it was too damn slow. Now on my second Leica, 1600B. First was the 1200 version. Love the size and I rarely shoot over 500 yards so don't need all the features and size a of a G7.

Mac

Posts: 1721 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post