Find
Notify
Tools

260 AI
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of CoyoteKiller82
posted
Taking this beauty out tomorrow to get some brass fire formed, as well as stretch it's legs. Was putting bullets through the same ragged hole @ 50 yds a couple weeks ago (too much snow to move the target any further). Hope to get it out to 300 on paper to see what size groups I can get!

Wish me luck!!

Posts: 504 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 03 December 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
260AI is a fantastic cartridge and will do just about what all the other 6.5s do with less powder. I built a hunting rifle in it but haven't done a long range gun yet. My gun has 1-8 twist and likes 120 gr bullets. I wish I would have gone with a 1-9 twist to get a little more velocity.

Posts: 2830 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mine's a 1-8 twist for bullets up to 140, shooting 123gr at the moment as I'm waiting on an order for the berger 140gr hybrids. Only managed to get a few groups shot at 100 yds on the wknd (which were mighty small groups) as we received even more snow with another 10 inches on Monday as well. Spring will be a ways off with the many feet of snow yet to melt.

Posts: 504 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 03 December 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
CK Do you think a 24" barrel would be enough for this cartridge. I'm thinking of rebarrelling my 308 Kimber Montana. I would be using 140gr bullets almost exclusivly. twist?? thanks Jim

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by waterrat:
CK Do you think a 24" barrel would be enough for this cartridge. I'm thinking of rebarrelling my 308 Kimber Montana. I would be using 140gr bullets almost exclusivly. twist?? thanks Jim

Jim

I know quite a few folks who have went with shorter than 24" barrels on tactical or lighter hunting rifles without a problem. You'd give up a very minimal amount of velocity, but gain by having a lighter rifle as I assume you'd be using it for the purpose of hunting.

As for twist, the lowest I would go with 140gr flat based hunting bullets would be 1-9. If you're planning on shooting any VLD or target bullets a 1-8 may be the answer. It's mostly personal preference as well as specific use of the rifle!

The barrel manufacturer can lead you in the right direction as well as the smith doing the re-barrel job, just be specific about the type of bullet you'll be using and it's intended purpose.

CK

One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
Thanks CK

That's what I wanted to hear. 140gr NP or the like and a 24" barrel to settle the front end down on the Kimber.

Jim

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad I could help Jim! Good luck on your rebarrel and shoot straight!

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Great looking gun, anxious to see how it shoots at some distance!

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of bigdoggy2bore
posted Hide Post
So.... how did it do at longer distances.

Used to be bigdoggy700 with 929 posts . Originally registered as bigdoggy 700 in July 2006.

Posts: 318 | Location: ILLINOIS , FINALLY GETTING. A CCW! | Registered: 14 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
How much case capacity are you gaining with the AI? Is there a reason not go up to a 6.5x284 case?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12538 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdoggy2bore:
So.... how did it do at longer distances.

I don't have any target pics, but I did shoot some .5 MOA groups on steel a few weeks back. Need to get out and do some more shooting to get the rest of my brass fireformed, but been incredibly busy this summer with all the other fun things in life!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
How much case capacity are you gaining with the AI? Is there a reason not go up to a 6.5x284 case?

The ultimate reason I went with the 260AI is that a prethreaded, prechambered barrel came up for sale that would fit the Savage short action that I had purchased (short action, so that makes the 6.5-284 a no go). There isn't a huge gain in case capacity, but the improved dimensions allow for better brass life with little to no trimming required!

Plus I have a 6mmAI and mostly like to be a little different!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was out Sunday night to fire-form a few more rounds. Shot a 5 shot 6 1/2" group at 700 yards with 51gr of H1000 and 123g SMK's. Pretty darn good accuracy for FF loads I'd say.

Can't wait till I get all the brass FF and can get some full power AI loads to see her really shine!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is my 260 AI built on a FN Patrol action(Win Mod 70) with a 1-8 twist Shilen barrel. It works good for long range and also for hunting. Roe buck shot in Norway with a 100 grain CEB ESP RAPTOR.

Posts: 2830 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Nice Rifle, deer, and shot placement, congrats!

Looks about 22-23" and a #2 or 3 contour? What twist you running?

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post