Find
Notify
Tools

George Farr.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted

Posts: 10111 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure what the Farr article has to do with 30/06 in Palma matches, but the 30 US is used in LR with quite qbit of success. Of course, Palma requires the 762 Nato cartridge only ( except US Palma which allows 223/556 as well).

The 30/06 beats the 762 hands down ballistically- using an unlimited bullet, the 190-210 grn VLD can be pushed to 2850-2900 fs from a 30 in plus barrel bolt gun- of course if the 155 grn/ 10 g bullet was required, the 06 could push it about 200 fs faster in a bolt gun than the 762 could.

I have used a 190 BTHP in an M1 at 1000 yds- of course I was system limited to about 2450 fs, but it held the black all day long if I could read the wind adequately. Palma types hold the X ring all day long though!

Palma is kind of like NASCAR- all engines are the same, it is driver oriented.

NRA Long Range is where varying calibers show their stuff- 6 and 6.5 mms rule the roost.

Posts: 1082 | Location: MidWest USA  | Registered: 27 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
It just seems to me that there are a LOT of very capable match Springfield's who's owners would love the opportunity to get involved. Why not? It would be good for the sport.

Posts: 10111 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shot Palma matches for number of years and only solid regulations are that it must be 308, irons sights only, and believe there is also a rifle weight limit(never seen it enforced??)If you showed up at a Palma match with the '06 doubt anyone would prevent you from actually participating, but would not qualify for score purposes. I switched to the SMK 190's in my Palma rifle w/ Krieger 30"/12 twist and was told it would not be supersonic at the 1K mark.
Also told that you had to use the SMK 155 Palma bullet. Both are wrong after checking with officials. Understand overseas the 155/6 is required, but was not overseas. Frequently cleaned the 800, but that 900 target(same target, just 100 more yards) always gave me trouble, would drop some 2-4 points there. On a good day would keep the 1000yd. target with same as the 900, 2-4 points. Best I ever shot was a 446 with smattering of X's and only thing that does for you is gets you a seat in the bleachers, no bragging rights or trophy, but always enjoyed those matches. The '06 with good loads, rifle and skilled shooter would do well at Palma matches I believe.

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps I was not clear enough- NRA/US Palma allows 223 & 762 with shooters choice of bullet weights, irons. The PALMA Matches ( the international event) requires 762 AND 155/10g bullets. Used to be that the host nation provided rifle, sights and ammunition, not sure about that anymore.

NRA Long Range ( beyond 600 yards) is pretty much the test bed for really good calibers and bullets from 22 to 33.... Most seem to shoot 6 and 6.5s.

Posts: 1082 | Location: MidWest USA  | Registered: 27 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Western- A NM 1903 or A3 would not be competitive in todays bolt gun world (long range) at decimal targets. Nor would an M1 or M1a.

A rigid single shot bolt gun designed for modern micrometer irons with very adjustable stock or very well purpose built is pretty much the entry requirement- if your rifle can't hold less than 1/2 MOA at range, you'll have difficulty keeping the bullets anywhere near the X ring. If you can't read the wind, mirage and know how to adjust, you'll chase paper all day long.

Almost any rifle 22 to 33 caliber with irons would be eligible to compete in NRA Long Range and US Palma, but you'll likely never see anything like a 1903 on the line.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been quite a while for me, but was not aware that 22 calibers were Ok to shoot in Palma. I did shoot for 3-4 seasons a 22-250 w/ 8 twist, 80gr.SMK's, 30" Krieger barrel, 40X action, Master Class stock, at both 600 and 1000yd. matches and it did well.
No reason it would not shoot fine for Palma since it is permissible now. If you have a spare 700 action, barrel one up w/ 7-8 twist, minimum recoil, and it will eat the center out of that 600yd. target with ease.

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Instructor- I have not read the 2016 rules, but the 223 and 762 were included in the US Palma rules for several years-this allows the military teams/individuals to shoot the AR 556 and 762 platforms ( M16A2/4, M110) . As I recall, this does not allow 22 calibers in general, only the 223/556 in SR categories.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, I see what you are saying. Shot quite a bit at Oak Ridge, TN and AMTU group as well as other military units frequently there and one of the military shooters was shooting his AR type rifle at the 1000yd. line, but with marginal results. Didn't ask and he did not volunteer his loads, only that he was using the SMK80gr bullets and a stout load of powder.
Heard later that the loads were done with a 20" + drop tube for load compaction. In the event a part was broken with such loads, parts availability much easier than to a civilian. Will say that the entire AMTU group were all fine shooters and a pleasure to shoot with them, good people. I do miss those days at Oak Ridge, great range.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have always believed any standard military cartride should be eligible for Palma. This would mean the 6.5x55, 7x57, 30/06, etc. I shoot a 30/40 Krag (built on a modern Remington clone single shot bolt action) quite often in fullbore matches but it is not elligible for prizes at a Palma match (Not that this is usually an issue since I seldom win anything anyway). I also have a nice Model 70 30/06, a 6.5x55 and the obligatory 7.62. I regard competition as fun and shooting uncommonly used cartridges just adds to the fun. "Losing with style", I call it. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3482 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I remember correctly the 6.5x55 Swede won some long range matches pre WWII. It is an excellent long range round but of course more modern ones now such as the 6.5x284 has exceeded in long range these days. Would have no qualms about shooting that round at Palma or straight 1000 matches and as you say you could lose in style with a classic cartridge.

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Seems like the 260 Rem has no problem holding its own these days. What has it got that the Sweede doesnt?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not much if you build it on a modern action and proper barrel, with a proper throated chamber.