THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    338 RUM custom long range gong ringer
Page 1 2 

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

338 RUM custom long range gong ringer
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you ever get a load worked up for that dinosaur? Almost looks it has bedding or scope issues the way it is double grouping.

Posts: 44 | Registered: 07 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the looks of your rifle.

I have a custom barreled 338 RUM with a 30” lilja barrel
It started out as a 338 Lapua and shot well. Then I got a deal on a large lot of 338 RUM brass. So had it rechambered to 338 RUM.
No Change in accuracy. I had not chronographed it when it was chambered in 338 Lapua so I do not know if Velocity has changed.

I did not have a break on it and had no problem with recoil never even considered a muzzle break.

I received a bad neck injury and could not shoot anything with recoil for a while. Had a muzzle break put on it and am starting to shoot it again. The brake is very obnoxious to anyone but the shooter but it has reduced recoil.

Have fun with your new rifle. You should have no problem ringing steel out to a mile with your rifle

www.Bristol-Bay.com

Posts: 36 | Location: Iliamna Alaska | Registered: 10 December 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is sleeping until spring in my neighbor's vault while enjoy resting my aged bones in Key West. No place here for that gal to go boom. Catch up on my handgun shooting in our nice 25 yd indoor range.

After shooting it some more (back in WY before heading South) I'm quite sure the bags/rest/bipod are the issue. Gonna be talking to Sinclair about their new F class bi-pod and getting a better bag for the back.

Tried some Hornady 250 gr match and 225 gr Accubonds. The Hornadys shot about the same as the Bergers @200 (1/2 MOA) and the Accubonds were just for grins @ 600 yards on a fresh 12" gong.
Once dialed in, it was just: "bang, clang" with 5 going into 8" in a nice round group.

Thus far (out to 600) it shoots about the same as my 50 year old M70 Bull gun in 300 H&H with an almost as old BalVar 6-24, although it does kick a bit more.

Cruising around the site, it is interesting to observe the ,shall I say, strong opinions on the 338 Lapua vs the 338 RUM. Reminds me of the 308 vs 30-06 debates a lot of sound and fury signifying nothing.

Can't afford a SAKO 338 LM as it costs a ton more than my Savage based rifle, so I have no dog in the hunt.

Stay tuned for next June when the snow SHOULD be melted out of the driveway.

Posts: 801 | Location: Pinedale WY USA & Key West FL USA | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
So how do you like the scope? +/-?

Posts: 1935 | Registered: 30 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
Swampshooter,

Even though I live out in the wide open spaces and actually AM a High Master competitor (many years and many, many matches), I share your sentiments about ridiculously long shots at game.

Cheers

Mark

"Greatness without Grace is mere Vanity" - Hank the Cowdog

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post