THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    338 RUM custom long range gong ringer
Page 1 2 

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

338 RUM custom long range gong ringer
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Picking it up today. A single shot Savage F Class redone in 338 RUM with a v-e-r-y long 3 groove nitrided barrel. Putting a 4-28 IOR on it. NOT a hunting rifle as I abhor the huge number of animals crippled and lost by wannabe sniper types. IMHO, if you can't get within 300 yards of a big game animal, you should take up golf. (My last Antelope was taken at 90 paces with a muzzleloader with iron sights ..... that's hunting !)
My new Savage will be a great gong ringer and the computer says 3000 fps with 300 gr Bergers.
Pictures later today.

Posts: 801 | Location: Pinedale WY USA & Key West FL USA | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As promised (a day late) pics of the new raghead slayer.
Action: Savage F class, left port, single shot
Stock: ditto
Barrel" 36" 3 groove, Nitrided tapered to 1" @ muzzle
Cartridge: 338 RUM
Gunsmithing by Scott Null
Scope 4-28x56 IOR on 20 min rail.
Scott even made me up a dummy (the "bullet" is a Boretech that has a higher BC than the Berger) for the correct COAL.
The folks who make Retumbo will be happy !

Those with sharp eyes will note that a loaded cartridge cannot be ejected without removing the bolt. Can't recall the last time I unloaded a single shot while shooting gongs or paper (It will never be hunted on big game).

Cost of scope and rifle are about the same which, IMO, is a good rule of thumb.

Posts: 801 | Location: Pinedale WY USA & Key West FL USA | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
You're gonna want a brake on that Big Grin

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tyler wrong on both counts. I assume you own no RUMs, hence can not speak factually on brass life. The SAMMI pressure is actualy higher for the RUM. Neither cartridge is made in a coned breech rifle, where brass web strength is far more important than in a 700 or Savage type action. The Lapua had to be redesigned as the original 416 Rigby brss could not cut it. The RUMs, on the other hand are still the same brass as the first 300 RUM 700 BDL I bought the month they came out.
As for a muzzle brake .....LOL. It's a 36" barrel and the rifle weighs 20 yes TWENTY pounds as you see it. Muzzle brakes are a solution looking for a problem and are very dangerous to anyone's hearing as well as creating a wonderful "here I am" signature.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
First shooting results from the Big Boy.

20 shots (one used @ 50 to get close) so pics show 19.
Load is 85 Retumbo, 300 Berger, Fed LR mag seated just off lands.
First 14 were fired per builders instructions:
" shoot one, wet patch with Hoppes, one dry patch, shoot again., repeat.". A Veras Pod was used and it loosened up (noticed after 3rd group)
Last group fired off benchrest bags.
Should note that all groups were fired at TWO, 200 hundred yards and scope adjustments were made between groups. Appears to have potential !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not bad for your first outing.

I'll sure be interested to see what it does after you get the load dialed in a bit.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remember it was 200 yards with some mirage. 5 in less than 1/2 MOA is reasonably "dialed in" I'd say. Builder says the Bore Tech are even more accurate and have a BC over 1. Guessing performance will get better out past 500 when the v-e-r-y longer Berger "goes to sleep".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's veeeeeery nice, keep us posted. This should reach out well. Do you plan on shooting competition with it? What's the velocity?
I'm in total agreement abhoring the many animals crippled and lost to wannabe sniper types. I never read a post that starts "I'm a high master long range highpower competitor and now that I have the necessary skills I want to do some long range hunting"

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Could not agree more about the hunting part of you post, but a High Master Long Range(600-1000yds.) Classification usually takes years of dedicated shooting and no rests, only mat and sling and often times with irons as well as scopes.

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
45-70. 1/2 moa on your first outing, with one bullet and one powder charge shows great promise. I wouldn't be suprised if an old bench shooter like you turned in some 1/4 MOA groups with your new rig.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I abhore the wounding of animals, but it is not just long range hunters that do that. I am commited to the one shot kill at whatever range or conditions and do not fire unless I know I have it. I have done my homework! There is no unethical equiptment or hunting methods, but there are unethical hunters! It would be nice to see, perhaps on this web site, a list of about five thousand hunters who are willing to make a commitment to the one shot kill.

Posts: 261 | Registered: 02 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice can't wait to see what she well do out at 500 and past.

Posts: 19313 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45-70 shooter:
Picking it up today. A single shot Savage F Class redone in 338 RUM with a v-e-r-y long 3 groove nitrided barrel. Putting a 4-28 IOR on it. NOT a hunting rifle as I abhor the huge number of animals crippled and lost by wannabe sniper types. IMHO, if you can't get within 300 yards of a big game animal, you should take up golf. (My last Antelope was taken at 90 paces with a muzzleloader with iron sights ..... that's hunting !)
My new Savage will be a great gong ringer and the computer says 3000 fps with 300 gr Bergers.
Pictures later today.

300 yards or I should take up golf Huh! If I had to shoot a rifle that ugly and a waste of money I Would take up golf! You are going to learn a lot getting that to shoot at 1k. Condition and Condition and did I say Condition.

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think his gun is ugly.

Posts: 18 | Location: northern California  | Registered: 02 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of wino
posted Hide Post
Is your rig a little nose heavy, or did you add a little weight to the furniture. BTW, nice looking.

"Earth First, we'll mine the other planets later"
"Strip mining prevents forest fires"

Posts: 2407 | Location: smokey southren humboldt county nevada | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post