New
Find
Notify
Tools

New 260
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Kinda new to the long range game. I had a new rifle built this year, on a Remington 700, chambered in 260 Remington. Action was trued and a Brux 1-8 Twist barrel was screwed on at 22 inches. I put it into a H-S Precision LTR stock, and topped it with a Leupold VX III 4.5x14x50LR in Seekins rings. First loads out of the gate with 139gr Scenars in Lapua brass were sub-MOA, some sub-1/2MOA.
Today, I did a quick test of my load at 300 yds. Two 3 shot groups, the largest is a smidge under 1 1/4". I know, three shot groups aren't a true indicator of what the rifle will do, and two groups is a pretty small sample. But damn, was I happy....

Posts: 250 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know, three shot groups aren't a true indicator of what the rifle will do, and two groups is a pretty small sample. But damn, was I happy....

They are for the first 3 shots unless your shooting groups for record they are most likely the most important.

Posts: 19329 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HiDrag
posted Hide Post
Huh?

quote:

They are for the first 3 shots unless your shooting groups for record they are most likely the most important.

Surgeon Slut

Posts: 21 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 09 July 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Super Bon Bon:
Kinda new to the long range game. I had a new rifle built this year, on a Remington 700, chambered in 260 Remington. Action was trued and a Brux 1-8 Twist barrel was screwed on at 22 inches. I put it into a H-S Precision LTR stock, and topped it with a Leupold VX III 4.5x14x50LR in Seekins rings. First loads out of the gate with 139gr Scenars in Lapua brass were sub-MOA, some sub-1/2MOA.
Today, I did a quick test of my load at 300 yds. Two 3 shot groups, the largest is a smidge under 1 1/4". I know, three shot groups aren't a true indicator of what the rifle will do, and two groups is a pretty small sample. But damn, was I happy....

I am not a fan of three shot groups. To say the first three are the most important is like flipping a coin three times, having it land heads all three times, and then declaring it to always land heads. The larger the group, the more confident you are of the natural dispersion of that load. Yes, I know, the barrel heats, etc., but to simply declare three shots as indicative of what will always happen with the first three shots is fallacious.

On the other hand, in my experience, a rifle that shoots three shots sub MOA at 300 yards twice is likely a pretty accurate rifle. I would be happy as well. I would be interested in hearing more about you .260 as you shoot it.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post