Notify
Tools

the big 338s
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Instructor:
I am not a fan of shooting at game at extreme ranges, 400yds and beyond, but if going to practice such hunting, highly suggest a lot of time "behind the gun" in different shooting positions. Sitting position can be a very stable one and w/ good sling set up very close to being as accurate as the prone position. No question that you should acquire the most stable position/rest available but stump,limb, earth mound, etc. not always available in the field. Proper sling is your portable bench rest so to speak. I shot High Power and Long range for years and did well at both, but shooting at a known distance and possible moving target to some degree is a whole different world. It brings a laugh to me when I see some of the videos hunting an animal the size of an elephant and only some 40yds or so away the shooting sticks are employed. Go shoot some 200yd HP matches off hand and keep them in the 10 ring for ten shots and then you can leave the sticks in the truck, but if not confident of your shooting skills use whatever support you need to make a "clean kill."

In 2010 I shot a really nice moose at 285 yards. My guide asked if I wanted the sticks; I said no, sat down, put my arm through the sling, tightened the keepers, and let him have it. It took about 10 or 15 seconds.

After the moose went down my guide said, "I never seen that before."

I said "Seen what before? A moose shot?"

He said, "No, I have never had a hunter use his sling like that."

Pretty sad commentary, but then the only guys I ever see using them are my pals I shoot with every Friday morning at our 500 yard shoots. Some shoot F class, but some shoot with jackets and slings, mostly with open sights.

As I have said before, I dry fire sitting with a sling every day when I get up. Not only is a great practice, but it is a great way to stretch muscles and get in position quickly.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AnotherAZWriter,
Some years ago went on one of those "hog hunts" on a preserve and lots of hogs running around once the dogs got on them. Friend and I standing on hillside opposite of all the commotion and sure enough big one come running down the opposite hillside some 100yds away. I dropped to the sitting position and "got into sling" at the same time and that front sight post was right on the hogs left shoulder. He had slowed a bit and squeezed the shot off and the 308 took him squarely on the shoulder and hog just collapsed. Would mention that used "issue sights" and doubt that I could have got the shot with some sort of optics, perhaps a "red dot??" Friend I was with told me later he thought I was trying to hide from the hog when I went into sitting position and was shocked that I was able to make a hit like that. Actually it was an easy shot and told him I just got into "killing mode" by sitting and using sling to get stable sight picture. By this time there were hogs running in all directions and preserve operator had warned us that the hogs in a group can go crazy and be careful. There were other hogs nearby and could have easily taken more but at $400.00 a pig, held up. My way of being careful for this hunt was using my then assigned M14 w/ 19 rounds left in the magazine. As you mentioned, there is no substitute for practice and time behind the gun in all positions. Keep up the good work and enjoy your postings.

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post