Find
Notify
Tools

the big 338s
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted
I was on another site and was told that the 338s had a problem opening up passed say 1000 to 1500 yards. Now I don't have anywhere near that kind of range or expertise. So does anyone on here know of a problem of the 338 not expanding enough to kill elk passed 1000 yards. I plan on contacting berger and nosler to get there opinion on it. I am curious what you guys have to say. I don't own a 338 yet.

1 shot 1 thrill

Posts: 340 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 14 December 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted Hide Post
I can't believe there has been 55 looks and no comments. Got to be some opinions on the subject.

1 shot 1 thrill

Posts: 340 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 14 December 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
I know the 300 SMK will certainly open and kill elk well beyond 1,000 yards.

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
1000 yards with a 378 338 hitting an elk out in the field is easy to talk about a bit hard to get done

600 yes with provisions

1000 yards is more of a long shot you might say

Anyway it matters not, because my experience always has been that of---- a loss of snot and enamel on both sides of the 458 Win----

Posts: 1016 | Location: SLC Utah  | Registered: 13 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stradling:
1000 yards with a 378 338 hitting an elk out in the field is easy to talk about a bit hard to get done

600 yes with provisions

1000 yards is more of a long shot you might say

I know several whom have done it well past 1000 yards. I killed an antelope at 777 fired only one shot.

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Happens all the time. Now they are placing weight restrictions on rifles.

Posts: 1935 | Registered: 30 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted Hide Post
Norseman I'm confused . What does that statement mean.

1 shot 1 thrill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Common 1000 yards !
It just don't seem right to me.If you can,t get closer than that, the elk wins !
...tj3006

Posts: 605 | Location: OR | Registered: 28 March 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
State of Idaho has place weight restrictions on rifles because it is easy to harvest game at extreme distances. 338 caliber bullet are one of the popular choices. I've seen people shoot 7mm Berger at equal distances and was very impressed.
I would not be surprised that other states will adopt this rule, just a matter of time.

Posts: 1935 | Registered: 30 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To each his own, as long as it is legal.
My personal belief is that it takes more of a hunter to get 'reasonably' close when hunting big game w/ a rifle.
Anyone w/a brain ( and some w/ o a brain) can make long shots w/ the right equipment and practice or in some cases luck.
Just watch jackass of the west if you do not believe me.
As for taking super long shots at big game, not my thing. For all but a small group of experienced riflemen, it is not only unethical, but much worse.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norseman:
State of Idaho has place weight restrictions on rifles because it is easy to harvest game at extreme distances. 338 caliber bullet are one of the popular choices. I've seen people shoot 7mm Berger at equal distances and was very impressed.
I would not be surprised that other states will adopt this rule, just a matter of time.

Also illegal in ID to use a scope with any electronics except to illuminate the reticle.

Easy way to regulate all of this is to simply make it illegal to use a rangefinder that goes past "x" yards.

It is easy to say "as long as it is legal." Consider a rangefinder that could also incorporate a doppler anemometer that would calculate wind drift. Right now, even the best gear won't make an "ordinary idiot" competent at long range because unless you practice constantly, you won't get the wind right - as anyone who shoots at long ranges knows, even a calm day can show mirage drift that requires a 1 MOA hold at 800 yards. But if that day comes, then any idiot just might be able to do it. Success rates will only climb, making tag access more difficult, which will result in fewer hunters in the field - not a good thing IMO.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
not for me, maybe a year or two after I got out of the Rangers in RVN. The shooting that is being done in the combat zones by military snipers with the 338 Lapua is very impressive.

Given that they are happier wounding an enemy that killing him outright with one shot; the notion of shooting at big game is just the opposite.

Several thousand dollars for the rig, more for the laser rangefinder, and lots of cash for components for practice. Major outlay for what is hopefully, just one shot.

When I got my Geovids my shooting distances went way up over the next two summers on Rockchucks, as did the hit and kill/one shot percentage.

At 1000+yds one two mile an hour shift in wind direction or speed between you and the target takes you a foot or more (sometimes much more) off of target. And, there can be 0 to 180-degree shifts every hundred yards.

Too much like work...

Rich

PS: I have this HP and Long Range shooter friend who is very accomplished. He is switching his AR's (10 and 15) over to hollowpoint bullets for the upcoming Zombie War. I asked him where he got that crazy notion that we would have a ZW in the US. He tells me he read it in the same magazine that featured news about a possible Ebola outbreak. I stopped laughing about that one last week.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The debate over ultra long range shooting at big game easily become polarizing. One element which I never see mentioned is time of flight. Between primer strike and bullet impact that elk can easily take one step turning a double lung into a gut shot. Bad idea, leaves a really bad taste in my mouth.

Posts: 126 | Location: nothern ca | Registered: 29 August 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by L. Rivard:
The debate over ultra long range shooting at big game easily become polarizing. One element which I never see mentioned is time of flight. Between primer strike and bullet impact that elk can easily take one step turning a double lung into a gut shot. Bad idea, leaves a really bad taste in my mouth.

I have mentioned this issue several times. It is also an issue with the wind; it can change over the TOF as well.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Even the best long range target shooters with their 18-22 pound rifles shoot an unexplainable 7 or 8 once in awhile. Any way you look at it, the risk of a crippled and lost animal are very high at ranges of over 500 yds.. I enjoy my 600 and 1,000 yard long range target shooting. Targets only for me at ranges past 350 or 400 yds and I do everything possible to keep ranges at 300 yds. and under.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post