THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    Question on reticles for long range scopes
Page 1 2 

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question on reticles for long range scopes
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have Swarovski Z-5 BR 3.5x18 44mm scopes on many of my long range hunting rifles. I have ordered custom reticles for the swaros from Outdoorsmans in Phoenix which allows me to dial in shots up to 800 yards with those scopes. They take all of your bullet and ballistics info, altitude, zero range, etc. for the particular load that you are using and manufacture a new reticle cap. They can only do it for Swarovski Z-3s and Z-5s with the BR. They are so worth the $99 per custom reticle cap! tu2

Posts: 18528 | Registered: 04 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I am thinking of switching to Horus reticles.

I am a dial and kill them kind of guy, I just want something faster.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
I am thinking of switching to Horus reticles.

I am a dial and kill them kind of guy, I just want something faster.

BWW:

Have one but I have to say they are way too busy; it is easy to be off by one line in the grid - happened twice to me rock shooting. Also doesn't show up well against dark objects, but the illuminated reticle helps. I found the Horus actually slower than dialing up because I was constantly double checking where I was on the grid. Also, unless you are on a major line windage becomes an effort in aiming in space.

I liked the reticle, but for LR shooting, get a Nightforce, dial up for E and hold for W (the MOAR reticle is great for this).

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
David Tubb has a similar reticle.

He has a baboon safari dvd on his website, where they use that reticle to shoot baboons. Seems pretty fast, but they use it every day.

Scopes are all Leupold Mark 8s.

Local gun shop has a Horus reticled Mark 6, and I have been playing with it quite a bit.

Still Nightforce is a cheaper option.

The Vortex Viper PST has a similar but less "busy" reticle in their lines. I have a pro deal with Vortex and can get them for 40 percent off. I am thinking about doing that.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post