Tools

Short Action Long-Range Caliber
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hide Post
I would pick one of the SAUMS, they are shorter than the WSMs, and will work better for the OAL

I am just about finished completing my 6.5mm SAUM, which was built on a short action Remington 700.

I used a Watts extended magazine box and even with the 140gr Berger I can seat the bullet out so the base it's in line with the shoulder, yet the overall length still functions through the magazine.

To do a 7 mm WSM or 7 mm SAUM you should look at a long action. Particularly if you want to run the 168gr or 180gr Berger projectiles.

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have received my 6.5SAUM built on a M70 EW WSM action. Just rebarreled was all that needed to go from 325WSm to 6.5SAUM.

Should get to shoot it this week.

Look forward to reading about yours kiwiwildcat.

Cheers, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1905 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
would a 6.5-284 work for you?

I realize this is a simple response, but sometimes simple works best...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
I'm getting a 6.5 SAUM built to put in a chassis I'm working on. It seems to be a great cartridge for long range with mild recoil and good barrel life at the speeds it can achieve with low pressures.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post