Find
Notify
Tools

Short Action Long-Range Caliber
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of DPollard
posted
I am looking at putting a 2nd long-range rifle together. It will be used only for shooting steel.

I currently have a .260 Remington. I am looking for a short action caliber that will shoot well beyond the .260's limit. I figure the .260 is good for out to about 1500 yards, give or take a hundred or so yards. I would like a caliber that will be a legitimate 1 mile shooter. The barrel manufacturers I am looking at are Criterion and Shillen. The action I am building this gun on is a Savage model 12 so I need a company such as the above that make a pre-fit barrel.

I am thinking of 300 WSM. What other calibers would be good to look at.

Posts: 209 | Registered: 10 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look hard at the 7WSM. I think it fits the bill in a custom build.

Posts: 352 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 29 July 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I would pick one of the SAUMS, they are shorter than the WSMs, and will work better for the OAL.

Posts: 7767 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
6.5 Remington Magnum-one of the original short magnums.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
.300 WSM. tu2

Posts: 18528 | Registered: 04 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
7mm SAUM.

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
.300 WSM. tu2

The problem with this guy is that it is hard to make long range bullets like the 230 Berger work in a short action.

300 WSM in a long action is awesome.

Posts: 7767 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess when you say shooting steel the size of the target matters, but there is no way I would call the .260 a 1500 yard cartridge - at least for first round hits on reasonably small targets.

The key parameter I look for a wind drift per mile of wind. At 1500 your wind drift is huge, and is virtually impossible to estimate since it changes even during the TOF.

A 140 gr Berger VLD at 2800 fps drifts 1.45 MOA for EACH mile of wind at 1500 yards. That is over 20 inches. TOF is 2.8 seconds. So if the wind changes 1/2 mile per hour from your estimate (assuming that is perfect) you are off by 10 inches.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of JabaliHunter
posted Hide Post
Think I would just buy a Savage in .338 Lapua

Posts: 712 | Location: England | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
I think.you have set quite a hurdle for yourself with the short action requirement. . I would start with the 7 Short RUM if you can get enough brass for.it. start with a long no taper contour arrel for the first 6" infront of the reciever ring . By the time you get your load work and practice done the original throat will be on its way out and you can have it cut and rechambered. . Will you be going with a 30" barrel?

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
6.5SAUM

DRSS

Posts: 1904 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JabaliHunter:
Think I would just buy a Savage in .338 Lapua

I have one and it is unbelievably accurate. But even a .338 bullet starts to lose steam past 800 when the wind is blowing.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shooting at 1500yds is equivalent to some 85% of a mile which is certainly a long way, but that additional 15% in distance is no small feat. I don't have an answer for you based on your description of what you want, but you might want to give Sierra a call and speak with one of their ballistics folks, they are quite knowledgeable, and believe you will find them more than willing to discuss in as much detail as you would want. Just a suggestion.

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 7WSM is about the ballistic optimum in a short action. I've not seen brass in a long time, so maybe a 7mm-300WSM or a SAUM would be better for brass availability.

http://forum.snipershide.info/...ewfull=1#post2311421

Posts: 861 | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of JabaliHunter
posted Hide Post
I suppose you could always use a short action but feed a bigger cartridge as a single shot through the back of the action, taking the bolt out each time... Smiler

For 1600m I would want to be using something like:

.284 180 gr Match Hybrid Target (BC 0.674)
.308 230 gr Match Hybrid OTM Tactical (BC 0.719)
.338 300 gr Match Hybrid OTM Tactical (BC 0.818)

Posts: 712 | Location: England | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post