THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    Light weight long range rifle, possable?

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Light weight long range rifle, possable?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have desided to buy a light weight hunting rifle for my next elk hunt when ever that may be. By light weight I mean as light as I can get away with scoped, loaded with sling.

But I also wish to be proficiant with it out 700 yards or so as that is the longest range I can shoot at regularly in order to become able to shoot ethicly at a animal, so I would likely make 700yrds my max range.

So is my light weight long range rifle a obtainable reality or not. Was thinking allong the lines of a Tikka T3 lite or similar platform or a X-Bolt sst/syn both in 300wsm and yes I am prepaired to deal with the recoil.

Thanks for suggestions and feed back,
Arthur.

Posts: 189 | Registered: 12 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sure, it's possible. The only limitation I can see is trying to shoot multiple rounds. For hunting this is not an issue. Test and train with it as you intend to use it. Trying to shoot 10 rounds in 20 seconds with a lightweight is where you might have a problem.

Posts: 861 | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
700 yards is a lot to ask of a factory rifle....in a lightweight custom absolutely but in a factory rifle, you have to get awfully lucky to get the right rifle I'd say. Once you start extending ranges, optics too start to get heavier so lightweight becomes a relative term. 7.5 pounds scoped is likely doable but less than that would be challenging. A T3 would be my choice though in a factory offering. Most of them seem to really shoot and you are starting at 6.3 pounds....not too bad. The Sako A7 is another option as is the Kimber.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Talk to Kevin Weaver at Weaverrifles.com.
He builds the rifle you are asking about, light, tough and accurate.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one.
Stiller Predator action, Satern #4 taper fluted barrel, Jewell trigger, Manners MCS-ST carbon fiber stock, Nightforce 2.5-10 scope.
It weighs about 8 lbs as described. It has proven to be accurate enough for 600 yard 'chucks. Built by Kirby Allen, Allen Precision.
Asking a factory rifle to produce this level of accuracy is a crap shoot at best. You might get it, but probably not.
Have you looked at Hill Country Rifles' Harvester line? These can be had for about 2K and usually shoot around 1/2 MOA. They offer accurizing services for your rifle as well. Go over to longrangehunting.com and watch the classifieds. If you watch, you can find a good used custom that is a shooter.
I've threw away enough $ on factory rifles trying to find a few that would really shoot, to finally realize I had already paid for a custom or semi-custom that would sure as hell shoot.
Another really good one to look at is the Cooper Excalibur. Not a fly weight, but a light weight with a half-MOA guarantee. The 5 I've had all shot that well... or better. These can be had for around the 2K mark as well.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
I have a NULA in 270 Wby with a 3.5-18 Swarovski Z5 with the ballistic turret. The farthest I've shot it was 600 yards, but it's plenty accurate out to that distance. The whole rig weighs in at 6.75 pounds. One thing to consider is that a lighter rifle is going to be much more sensitive to any flaws or inconsistencies in your shooting form, especially at long distance. It's amazing how even just a couple more pounds will help cover those issues up.

Posts: 809 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My rig is close to cobrad's rifle. I shoot a Rem700 .280IMP with Lilja No4, McMillan Sporter (standard fill), and Nightforce 2.5-10x32mm in Al rings on a Ti base. Mine comes in at 9lbs. A 168gr SMK at 2800fps makes for a great long range sporter.

The above rifle was built by HCR but corrected by another smith. I do not recommend HCR based on several bad experiences.

My back up gun is a Rem700 with a factory mag trace contour in a McM KS stock. I shoot the same NF scope on it. This rifle is about 8lbs and will shoot 175gr NP or 168gr SMK for elk or deer.

I have a pseudo-NULA (CLR with Pac-nor barrela nd NULA stock) in .257Wby that weighs about 7lbs. I have only shot it to 300yds but it will shoot .5MOA at that distance. At some point I'll stretch it out further but I don't consider the .257Wby to be much more than a 500yds gun.

There are several ways to build a gun without spending $4k.

Posts: 518 | Registered: 28 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My light weight long range rifle made by Chris Matthews in 300 WSM. Stiller Predator action, Broughton 5c sporter barrel, Basix trigger, McMillan Hunters Edge stock, March 2.5-25x42 optics. It weighs about 8 lbs as Cobrad's rifle.

If we are talking about factory rifles, I would start with Tikka T3 or H-S Precision PHL.

Posts: 637 | Location: Moscow, Russia | Registered: 13 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was out doing a little rock shooting today. At 790 yards elevation was spot on, but the wind fooled me. Rifle was still shooting close to half-moa... well, I'm really not sure how the rifle was shooting, but that is as good as I was shooting it anyway.
Everytime I shoot this rifle it makes me smile. dancing

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kerry O'Day at Match Grade Arms can build you that rifle. Their light weight rifles are extremely accurate. I have just the rifle you are describing in .300 win mag.

Posts: 318 | Location: No. California | Registered: 19 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
My experience with Match Grade Arms was very different than yours. PM if any one wants to know.