The Accurate Reloading Forums
First round hits at a paper plate at 1200 yards with Sig 2400

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8991022351/m/1781007652

20 January 2020, 23:09
AnotherAZWriter
First round hits at a paper plate at 1200 yards with Sig 2400
I posted before about this rangefinder with AB software. Been shooting this thing a lot at 500, 800, and 1200 yards. Absolutely amazing. If I have enough sunlight to see mirage and get the wind, I don't miss with this thing. I am shooting 28 Nosler 195 Bergers, .300 RUM with 225 ELDs, .338 Edge with 300 Bergers, and two Lapuas with 285 ELDs.

I zero at 500 to minimize spin drift but the Sig calculates it and aerodynamic jump correctly (or so it seems).

These are first round hits without sighters.

My rifles are of course very accurate and have low MV SDs. But at 1200, changes in temp are enough to result in elevation changes big enough to cause a miss.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

11 February 2020, 23:57
jpl
That is impressive! Thanks for posting about your long range efforts. I have some steel set up in the mountains nearby and I enjoy hiking out to ring steel. The 1000 yard plate is almost a gimme but I have a hard time getting a cold bore to connect with the 22" plate at 1600. Just a little change in the wind is several feet out there. The valley seems to have a generally clockwise circulation pattern. I've been out when it was snowing lightly and it was clear to see the switching winds at different distances.
14 February 2020, 01:30
AnotherAZWriter
quote:
Originally posted by jpl:
That is impressive! Thanks for posting about your long range efforts. I have some steel set up in the mountains nearby and I enjoy hiking out to ring steel. The 1000 yard plate is almost a gimme but I have a hard time getting a cold bore to connect with the 22" plate at 1600. Just a little change in the wind is several feet out there. The valley seems to have a generally clockwise circulation pattern. I've been out when it was snowing lightly and it was clear to see the switching winds at different distances.

I should have kept my mouth shut! Last week I hit my 3 inch circle at 1200 with a 4 MOA wind call but since then I have had bad wind calls on my first shot three of the past four times! Yikes!

But, my elevation hits have been dead on. Going to go back out next week - need to clear my head so I don't have "last shot memory/overcompensation syndrome."

05 May 2020, 00:20
ZekeShikar
"Last shot memory / overcompensation syndrome"
Ain't that the truth!

To be one is to understand one. ha

I had another really good day on Saturday at 600 and 900 (shooting range max yards) ringing the CENTER of the gongs! I'll brag for now... until next time when I can't find the center.

If it were always easy, we'd probably lose interest.

Zeke
05 May 2020, 20:35
AnotherAZWriter
I was at my place in Colorado to test the Sig2400 at 7500 feet (might even be 8000). Brought my Edge with me. Set up a gong at 722 yards. Wind was calm. Zapped the target, adjusted for elevation, shot, and expected hear the "doink" a few seconds later. Nothing. Double checked everything, even looked at my iPhone app; both had my elevation about the same - about 3/4 MOA lower required than sea level. I took another shot but held 1/2 MOA for wind, which had started to pickup. That shot hit the gong, but right at the very top.

My house in CO is still being built, but it is has a pad outside of my reloading room where I can shoot as far as I want. I left my rifle there throughout the day, shooting three more times but with 1 MOA less elevation. All three shots hit within 3-4 inches of the gong center even though the wind was blowing as much as 16 mph.

I was happy with my wind calls, but not with the weird change in elevation. I am back in AZ and will take the Edge out and see if my 800 yard elevation is the same as it was before CO.

06 May 2020, 20:31
AnotherAZWriter
Zeke:

Went out yesterday and took a poke at 800 with my Edge. Dialed up to 15.25, which is what the Sig said, held 1.5MOA for wind (took a long time to come to that conclusion as it was blowing at a pretty acute angle to me, which is tricky). Hit the bottom of my 3 inch circle. At 1195 I was 1/2 MOA low but blew the wind call. So I don't think the rifle's zero changed but mystified why I was so high at 720 in Colorado. One reason why I like to bring two guns - might not shoot them both, but if something weird happens with one, I can verify with the other.

Shot my 28N at 1195 and had a perfect wind call (always helps when you have shot once, huh?) but hit 1MOA high - for some reason my Borden 28N is suddenly 1 MOA high at all ranges - at least the last four shots at 800 and 1195.

07 May 2020, 00:04
ZekeShikar
There are those times when we're mystified, that's for sure.

Funny you'd say that about taking 2 rifles. I do the same thing, usually, "just in case".

I won't talk about last Sunday's trip to the range with just one rifle and that rifle accidentally left it's bolt on my reloading/work bench at home. Dang rifle has a mind of it's own!!!! LOL

Thanks for all the candid updates!

Zeke
07 May 2020, 02:20
AnotherAZWriter
I just shot at 500 - almost too easy; can't remember the last time I didn't put a bullet within 5" of my aiming point. It is amazing how much more "sloppier" you can be at 500 vs 800, so say nothing of 1000 or farther.

07 May 2020, 02:36
Opus1
AZ - Are you only using the Sig range finder or are you using the full BDX system?

I just sold my Gunwerks G7 rangefinder and I very interested in the Sig BDX system (range finder and scope)

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.
07 May 2020, 20:21
AnotherAZWriter
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
AZ - Are you only using the Sig range finder or are you using the full BDX system?

I just sold my Gunwerks G7 rangefinder and I very interested in the Sig BDX system (range finder and scope)

I have the 2400 AB - it ranges farther than I can shoot, and up until the CO trip it was simply amazing compared to the BR7. Spin drift is no problem, nor is aerodynamic jump. In AZ I took it to some different areas I had not shot - higher angles, different ranges, etc. It worked flawlessly. I have noticed the MV for my Edge has been running a bit higher than what I inputted, but like I said above, it nailed the elevation at 800 and 1195 two days ago.

The BDX system seems interesting, but for me the next purchase is a Trijicon Ventus. Wind is the problem, and I don't want a scope that would move my aiming point based on a wind call that is no longer valid (right now I use my side parallax to detect mirage, then spin into focus and shoot right away).

08 May 2020, 02:28
crbutler
I've never learned to deal with wind for sour apples.

The ability to make a shot over 800 with a cold bore is way beyond my skill set!

Congratulations!
09 May 2020, 01:08
Big Wonderful Wyoming
I have noticed the need to true the data by shooting in 100 yard increments for my really long range rigs.

Unless you have shot it, it isn't DOPE but can make you into one.
10 May 2020, 21:56
AnotherAZWriter
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
I have noticed the need to true the data by shooting in 100 yard increments for my really long range rigs.

I went coyote hunting yesterday. No coyotes but I did take a pop at a rock I had painted black with a 3" orange circle. Ranged it at 894 yards. IIRC the Sig said 18.66 MOA elevation (angle was about 6 deg). Wind was faint, but when I spun my parallax I could clearly see mirage moving right, 1 mph, 2 mph max. No wind hold was .2 MOA (I zero at 500 for spin); one mph was .5 MOA. Held there and shot. Impact was perfect for wind, but 1/2 MOA high. I had dialed up to 18.75; at that range one click is just over two inches, so it gets a bit tricky.

Today I am practicing offhand at 100; goal is to put 10/10 on a paper plate. Last week I was 9/10. Used to be able to do it all the time when I shot XTC, but a lot easier with an AR and a 10 rd magazine.

11 May 2020, 05:22
AnotherAZWriter
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:

I went coyote hunting yesterday. No coyotes but I did take a pop at a rock I had painted black with a 3" orange circle. Ranged it at 894 yards. IIRC the Sig said 18.66 MOA elevation (angle was about 6 deg). Wind was faint, but when I spun my parallax I could clearly see mirage moving right, 1 mph, 2 mph max. No wind hold was .2 MOA (I zero at 500 for spin); one mph was .5 MOA. Held there and shot. Impact was perfect for wind, but 1/2 MOA high. I had dialed up to 18.75; at that range one click is just over two inches, so it gets a bit tricky.

Today I am practicing offhand at 100; goal is to put 10/10 on a paper plate. Last week I was 9/10. Used to be able to do it all the time when I shot XTC, but a lot easier with an AR and a 10 rd magazine.

Sucked at 100 offhand today; only hit the plate four times but five missed by less than an inch.

Did well sitting with a sling at 300; put three shots into less than 2" with all hitting my 3 inch aiming circle. Also practiced off sticks at 300; easier to hit a plate at 300 off the sticks than offhand at 100.

15 May 2020, 21:23
ZekeShikar
Speaking of off-hand shooting.
My bro and I are building a couple 22-250AI and wanted to fire-form the brass BEFORE we put the custom barrels on so the old rifle was punched out to the improved round and we shot over 700 rounds over 4 Saturdays.
99% was off-hand and the 1% was sitting.
It was fun and great practice to each pop off 100+/- rounds per session.
It boils down to controlled breathing and clean trigger press for me.
We sure had fun!

Zeke