Find
Notify
Tools

Re-barreled the 6.5x284
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
I just installed a 28", Bartlein 5R barrel on my left handed, Montana Rifle Co. action. This is a gain twist 9.5"-8" twist that I'm experimenting with.

I had it chambered to minimum case size and throated for the 142 grain SMK. I had to order new brass as the Redding S Type dies won't resize the old cases far enough down the web to chamber in the tight chamber. New cases drop right in though. I hope to get it out this weekend for break-in and load development.

I'll shoot it in our monthly club matches out to 1,000 yards and shoot some long range varmints with it.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12525 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice! I've never used a gain twist, or someone I've known. Please, if you would like to, can you give an update.

Cheers
Bruce

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
470 Mbogo, came through town, we talked a bit on the phone, work is getting in the way of my life. He was telling of his new passion for long range shooting.
I'd been giving it some thought and almost talked myself out of it, but after talking with Dave, I may try after all.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I loaded up some test loads that worked in the previous Krieger barrel and will try them out at the ranch this weekend.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12525 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've owned one gain twist barrel. Ron Smith up in Penticton, Canada makes them. Cut-rifled for Scheutzen Shooting. Plain base lead bullets in the 15000-1800fps range.

Pope learned how from Schalck about 140 years ago.

I have been curious how they would work with jacketed at high speeds. Keep us informed.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
I kept getting these annoying random flyers with SMK's. When I switched to Scenars, those flyers disappeared.

Are you doing any rework to the tips on those Sierras? It seemed to be popular a couple years ago to trim and reshape the tips on those. I think Sinclairs even sold a few tools for the purpose.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Shot the new barrel today, I forgot my sky screens so unfortunately I didn't get any chronograph data but I loaded up my standard match load using a 142 grain SMK and 46 grains of H4350 which is a max load according to Hodgdon but light for a match shooter. This load gets me 2898 fps from my 26" Krieger barrel.

I shot one sighter and then cleaned the bore, then I aimed at one bull and did the one shot then clean the barrel for three shots (group on the left).

Then I shot a three shot group (group on the right) and cleaned the barrel. That's my normal break in routine so I'm ready to do some load development now.

It looks like the barrel has potential.

The picture below is my super benchrest set up for group shooting. The gun on the rest is my 375 H&H that I was doing some group shooting with also.

Frank