Find
Notify
Tools

Scope for LR
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted
A year ago when I finished my 338 Edge, I put a old Weaver T-16 on it that I found at garage sale. I wanted a more modern variable power scope but the Weaver has proved to be a good value and has served me well. I made up my mind that I would use the old Weaver until it broke. Well, today was that day, the turrets have stopped tracking. I am looking to replace it for a reasonably priced variable power, possibly with a tad bit more magnification. Currently, the only thing I use the rifle for is to kill paper at my granddads farm, out to 950 yards. I do want to try to use it hunting as well but no more than 400yds. I try to use all my guns hunting to prove to my wife that it has a legitimate use. From the choices below which one do you think I should go with? Or, is there another choice not listed that stands out?

Here is what I have been looking at:

Vortex Viper HS 6-24X50 Image quality was good, got milky past 20X
Vortex Viper 6.5-20X50- Image got milky past 14X
Weaver Grand Slam 6-20X40- Have not seen
Burris Signature Select 6-24X44- Have not seen
Sightron Big Sky 6.5-20X50- Have not seen
Bushnell 6500 2.5-16X50- Have not seen

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1085 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of CoyoteKiller82
posted Hide Post
I say Sightron all the way!

Posts: 504 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 03 December 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
The old steel Weavers were great scopes, the baseline for decent optics to put on your rifle. Today, many consider the baseline to be Leupold and I must agree with that assessment. Leupold glass and coatings are well worth the money, the mechanisms have kept pace with technology, and there is no better warranty and repair service available.

Leupold VX-2 6-18X40
Leupold VX-3 6.5-20X40
Leupold FX-3 25X40

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
If your funds can stretch to it: Schmidt and Bender tu2

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you can afford it: Nightforce!

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just bought a 338 RUM long range gun and it has a Zeiss Conquest 6.5x20x50MM scope on it. It seems like a decent combination to me with target turrets. I think Camera Land has the same scope in their "demo" list for $600.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
S&B and Nightforce are way out of my budget. I was looking at the Zeiss but the local store puts it out of my price range. I will have to look at Camera land though, 600.00 seems like a good deal.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1085 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Edges have always worn Mark 4s, and most of my other LR rifles as well. I've got one Night Force and can't fault it either. When I test drove a S&B I couldn't for the life of me figure out what the fuss is about.

One thing to consider is that you can tweak a rifle, and work on loads but your scope will never be better than it was at the beginning.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Canadian - I sent you a PM

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For a price shopper, I would suggest the Super Sniper 3-15X42 from SWFA. Lots of adjustment range, good glass, and zero stop.

Better glass, Sightron S3 6-24X50. The Sightron big sky's have better glass than the Vortex, IMHO, but lack some features like a zero stop. I have a PST 4-16 and it is a good package, but my 4-16 Big Sky is clearer at 16X.

Used, find a Nightforce. They are very nice scopes. Again, lots of adjustment, zero stop, good glass, and warranty. Can't go wrong here.

I personally like a 15-16X top end. I think that I am an anomaly though. Most of the guys that I shoot with or talk to want 20X minimum past 800 yards.

All that said, the Burris Veracity looks promising, but I have yet to see one in person.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
I second the SWFA Super Sniper. Solid scopes, tons of adjustment, and a good reticle which is exactly what you need for that 338.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the suggestions. I was finally able to check out the sightron, I was impressed. As an added bonus, they had a demo SIII 6-24X50 with a hybrid hash/dot reticle. I havent been able to get out to the range yet, but it sure looks nice on my gun. Now, the only left to do is put a brake on the thing.

---Thomas Jefferson

one of us
posted Hide Post
Let us know how it tests out! Who is "they"? I have a SWFA Super Sniper in 20X on my 308 Rem HB and love the scope. Not sure about variables at high power hence I am interested in your experience. Did you check out the Vortex line?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of CoyoteKiller82
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thecanadian:
Thanks for all the suggestions. I was finally able to check out the sightron, I was impressed. As an added bonus, they had a demo SIII 6-24X50 with a hybrid hash/dot reticle. I havent been able to get out to the range yet, but it sure looks nice on my gun. Now, the only left to do is put a brake on the thing.

Great choice!!

Posts: 504 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 03 December 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post