Tools

Long Range Scope
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Guys,

So have any of you guys actually used the Leupold 30mm 3x18 with 50mm objective? My research shows it to have a super wide field of view and lighter weight than some of the other long range scopes. These things in my mind were a problem with the Nightforce I used.

The leupold with it's wide FOV and moderate weight to my mind would make not only a good long range scope but an all around scope.

Mark

I have a Leupold 4.4-14X with a 50 mm; has an illuminated B&C reticle. I can hit stuff out to 500 yards with it and stretched it a good bit further a few years ago on a 6-7 elk. Shot a leopard at 35 yards with it as well. Big Grin

In other words, a good all around scope.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used the leu 6.5-20LR with the varminter reticle and target knobs. It has worked very well and in the case of FFP it was an advantage as you could adjust the power to dial in the reticle perfectly for the trajectory. We used the 300 RUM w/ 200 gr accubond and were able to zero at 300 yds and match the trajectory for 300, 400, 500, and 600 yards by adjusting the power and marking the power ring at the proper magnification. I also used a trajectory chart with a 600 yard zero on out. It's then an easy matter to dial up for longer shots an use the 600 yard aiming point. I also use the nightforce on another heavier rifle and have good luck using it by dialing up from a 300 yard zero. For a dedicated long range rig I'd go nightforce, for something I carry around and hunt with I would look at the leu's with the varminter reticle in 4.4-14 or 6.5-20.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1168 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt,

I think you are confused on FFP and SFP.

It doesn't matter what power setting a FFP riflescope but it does matter on a SFP riflescope with regards to TRAJECTORY.

Posts: 1935 | Registered: 30 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
My bad and you're completely right, we used the second focal plane scopes. We zeroed @ 300 yds, then shot a group @ 600 with the same hold on the reticle. Then it's a simple matter mark the center of the group with good marker and go back to the 600 yd firing point. We adjusted the power on the scope until the 600yd mark on the reticle was on the actual group, and the aiming point was on the reticle center. This was with the Varminter reticle in the 6.5-20 Leu target.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1168 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted Hide Post
I have 3-18x50 on my 7mm rum it works great. But I'm not a sniper just like shooting mid range and over bean fields at deer.

1 shot 1 thrill

Posts: 340 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 14 December 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For me a NXS 3.5-15 and on my new gun I'm going with the ATACR 5-25, both are Nightforce.

Posts: 1940 | Registered: 16 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post