THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    Howa 1500 6.5 Creedmoor Cerakote Varmint Kryptek Review

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Howa 1500 6.5 Creedmoor Cerakote Varmint Kryptek Review
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
I picked this up a few weeks ago and finally got a chance to light off a few rounds.

It is the brown cerakote varminter, and the factory stock has Kryptek camo on it.

I swapped out the supplied Nikko Stirling 5-20 30mm tactical style scope for a Nikon 2-12 Pro Staff 30mm model.

So far here is the good and bad:

1. I have tried the 4 varieties of Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor ammo from 120 grain A-Max to the 143 new Long Range Hunter, all performed within half to 3/4 of an inch.

2. I did not brake the rifle in, I am not one of those people that does that. I just shot it and cleaned it when I got back from the range.

3. Ballistically I sighed it in 3 inches high at 100 yards, and that worked well for a 300 yard shots on gongs. I was able to hit the 600 yard gong by using the dead man's horse method.

4. The action functions as slick as any Howa 1500 I have owned. Not as good as a Tikka or the new series of 700s.

5. Recoil is minimal, but not enough to see my shots from the bench. Prone shooting revealed that I could do it by putting pressure on the bipod.

6. It is damn loud, way louder than I was expecting. My toddlers upsconded my Peltor ear muffs and I was using soft foamie plugs. My ears are still ringing.

7. 2 stage trigger is pretty good for factory but needs quite a bit of work. I'll read up on the Howa adjustment and do that this weekend, hopefully I'll have a better report back on the trigger.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
The new triggers on those are much better to adjust than the older varieties. I just picked up a barreled action with the lightweight barrel in the creedmoor but haven't dropped in in a stock yet. Barrel bore looks very good through the scope, crown can use a slight touch-up and the action is smooth. Should make a nice hunting rifle.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1169 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post