New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nightforce G-7 scope
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I shot a rifle earlier this week with a Nightforce G-7 scope. I was impressed with the ability to adjust the scope instantly for the distance of the shot. Frankly, I didn't think the glass was all that great.

I am considering buying one for my Rifles, Inc 300 Win mag. Does anyone have experience with these scopes? If so, can you give me any feedback? Does the scope hold its zero well?

Thanks.

Posts: 11955 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't have the G7 but currently shoot NXS and shot the BR series before the NXS came into production. The Nightforce is the most rock solid, bomb proof, repeatable optic I have ever used.

The glass might not have the color or definition of other really high end optics but who cares. Birders don't buy riflescopes. It is a sight and the purpose of a sight is to reliably and repeatably put rounds on target. The glass is certainly good enough to give you the resolution, definition, and color you need to see the target and the adjustments and reticles in the NF optics are precise and accurate.

Posts: 518 | Registered: 28 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I have also found that Nightforce glass is not up to the price. And their scopes are too heavy for hunting purposes.

I am not a sniper. Few of us are.

I am a hunter. I want best glass and the lightest weight consistent with adequate strength.

It would be great if Gunwerks would offer Schmidt & Bender or Swarovski scopes fitted out with their reticle and zero stop and ballistic turrets.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Their scopes (most of) are not really designed for hunting purposes so a bit skewed in your
criticism.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505G:
Their scopes (most of) are not really designed for hunting purposes so a bit skewed in your
criticism.

I am not talking about "most of" their scopes.

I am talking about the specific models that they advertise as being designed for hunting.

These models, like their "sniper" scopes, have second rate glass and are half a pound (or far more, in some cases) too heavy.

And they are too expensive for what they offer.

For hunting purposes, I would love to see Gunwerks trick out a high range Swarovski Z5 or Z6 variable, or a high range Schmidt & Bender Zenith variable.

The G7 system applied to any of those scopes would make for an ideal long range hunting scope.

Mike

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505G:
criticism.

Trust me, they are often being used for hunting. I just shot a big horn using one at 527 yards. Lots of people are using them for long range hunting.

They are heavy as hell. That is true.

I am thinking of going with the Swarovski Z-6, 3x18 with the ballistic turret.

Posts: 11955 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a NXS model and liked it. I sold it and bought a vortex with the adjustable turrets and like it better. It has the same reticle as leupold's TMR. Thus far that has been my favorite reticle. I have not shot any of the scopes that have the yardage on the elevation dial. Nice concept and for sure quick, however i do not want to be dependent in a range finder. I was in pakistan hunting ibex once and it was snowing too hard for range finder to work. Came back and began learning how to range with reticle.

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Larry,

Sent you an email with some thoughts that might help.

thanks
Paul

"Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas"
NRA Benefactor Member
Member DRSS

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
I shot a rifle earlier this week with a Nightforce G-7 scope.

What is a G-7 scope? I've never heard of this...

Posts: 861 | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gunwerks improved version of the Nightforce.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
The G7 nightforce works in tandem with the G7 rangefinder.

RC

Repeal the Hughes Amendment.

Posts: 1147 | Location: Ohio USA | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rcasto:
The G7 nightforce works in tandem with the G7 rangefinder.

the G7 BR2 rangefinder is truly phenomenal. Larry, will send you an email with my solution; too long to post here.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe a G7 Nightforce scope is nothing more than a Nightforce scope with a G7 designed reticle. I think it was designed because Nightforce didn't have its current MOAR reticle at the time.

Posts: 1946 | Registered: 16 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post