THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    What scope like a Vortex Razor HD, but lighter and cheaper?

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What scope like a Vortex Razor HD, but lighter and cheaper?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Shooting mid-range (400-1000) with a friend's PRS rig and had to get a Vortex Razor HD 4.5-27x56. Found one used on Sniper's Hide. But now I want something like that for a hunting rifle. But lighter and cheaper. It could have less magnification, but same repeatability for turret adjustments and same Christmas tree style reticle. Any suggestions?

Posts: 1720 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have a look at Athlon Optics.

This scope is a bit smaller in terms of magnification (although it should be more than enough for any legitimate hunting application) and has pretty much all the other features you are looking for:

https://athlonoptics.com/produ...fle-scopes-ares-btr/

The brand has been getting pretty good reviews too.

Posts: 458 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Vortex Viper 6.5-20 x44 (like new) if you are interested.

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1043 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
What is the price point you are looking at?

The Vipers are made in China.

This is my choice.

https://www.leupold.com/scopes...pes/vx-3-8-5-25x50mm

I also have a Meopta Optika, clearer than the Leopold, but the adjustments are sucking compared to the Leupold.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. Hadn't seen that Athlon. Can't believe what you get for the price. Also, the Bushnell LRTS and those Optika 6's from Meopta look really good. Finally, I love Leupold. Most of my scopes are Leupold VXI's and some VXII's and III's. But the dial adjustments haven't been 100% until the newer erector system. I generally haven't dialed for hunting, and they stay put once set, but they sometimes slip. But Midway just put a big discount on the VX5 and VX6's with the new erector system, which put them down into the $900's and low $1000's. Going to go Leupold I think.

Posts: 1720 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Look for a Bushnell LRHS or a DMR...

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Leupold, used or new, is the best scope on todays market..and a used scope carries a lifetime guarentee, the same as a new one..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Leupold, used or new, is the best scope on todays market..and a used scope carries a lifetime guarentee, the same as a new one..

this

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nightforce NX8

Posts: 373 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 13 April 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post