Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

POI change
 Login/Join

posted
Guys, I Hope This is the right place to ask this, how much of a change in your POI Have You noticed when going from shooting off of sandbags to using a bi-pod? My Remington 700 308 was shooting 3in high at 300 yds when I Started using my bi-pod as compared to shooting off of sandbags. Is this unusual? I have never noticed This much difference with any other rifle before. Thanks.

Posts: 12 | Location: western nc | Registered: 05 November 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I went from sandbags to a bipod while shooting off a concrete bench, I was aware of the rifle jumping more with the bipod. I don't know what effect that had on the POI, but it really annoyed me.

So I put a scrap of pile rug between the bipod feet and the bench, and that significantly reduced the jump.

I believe I can shoot more accurately using this system than I can with either sandbags or when using an undamped bipod.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any time that the hold is changed on a center-fire rifle there will be a point of impact change. This will show up significantly at 300 yds and beyond.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Changing the way the rifle is rested or gripped is going to change the POI. You are just going to shoot your rifle to know what the difference is going to be. Every firearm is a law unto itself.

I once had a 15" diagonal POI at 50 yards just by changing primers in a rifle load.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

Posts: 2389 | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
see

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHaDK-uxyfc

Many things can cause POI changes.

Gun rest, gun hold, cleaning the barrel, tightening the screws, changing the load, temperature changes, changing bipod, canting, etc.

Posts: 3720 | Registered: 03 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Although I am not a long range shooter I would like to give my opinion.If the rifle is really at rest when the trigger breaks there should not be a change in POI.If the rifle can pivot as in the case of a bipod it can be moving while you pull on the trigger-especially light weight rifles-they move like crazy.There can be a lot of movement, in pattern form when shooting offhand also.A good scope should show signs of unsteadiness.A good light trigger helps too.Some muscle too.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mopardude:
Is this unusual? I have never noticed This much difference with any other rifle before. Thanks

No, it's not unusual. POI will change depending on how you hold the rifle. It's more dramatic with light rifles and heavy recoiling rifles. The bullet is still in the barrel for a couple milliseconds after the primer ignites. Also, if the barrel is touching the stock, you can get POI changes from how you hold it that are not due to recoil.

Posts: 861 | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post