Notify
Tools

My one mile rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drewhenrytnt:
What kind of muzzle break is that? I am having more rotator cuff and back problems and figure I need to snuggle-up to some kind of really fantastic break.

Andy

I'm interested too. It looks a lot like a JP.

Posts: 688 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting thread.

Leadwood, the muzzle brake is a J&P. Very effective but you'll want plugs AND muffs and no bystander allowed anywhere near it.

http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.2_re.php

860 Supreme is not listed on the Winchester website, assume it is slower than W780 which was designed for the WSMs and is a tad faster than 4831.

Hodgdon 100V- An outstanding powder for most centerfire and magnum cartridges, yes it is.

Winchester (Hornady) Superformance is incredible with long barrel slow twist small bores.
4000 fps in 30" 25-06 w/80 gr TTSX, sub MOA groups and end to end penetration on deer sized game.

Built a similar rifle to the OP's in 338 RUM w/36", 3 groove, nitrided barrel. No brake needed (20 pounds). 300 gr Bergers are edging 3000 fps w/ 1/2 MOA out to 600 (as far as tested). Retumbo give 25% group (5 shot) reduction over H869 or 50 BMG.

4-28x56 IOR (34mm tube) makes my Schmidts and NFs look fragile. It's built like a T-34 !

Scott says the 246 gr Bore Tech (solid turned Beryllium Copper) is even faster, more accurate and has better BC than the 300 Berger.

Waiting for Sinclair's new unlimited front rest as they say none of the current F Class ones are strong enough ! Destroyed two Bipods so far.

Glad to see the 8mm Remmag get some positive press. Craig Boddington is a fan which tells any savvy rifleman a lot.

Gonna move out to 1000 this year as soon as we finish building the 36" gong. (trailer mounted !)

Don't know about you folks, but even finding powder is about impossible. Who the heck would be hoarding Retumbo ?

Posts: 29 | Registered: 17 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle & very nice group Rob.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8342 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought a good number of the powders we are useing are made by ADI? They have been working on temp. stable powders for some time now.

Posts: 6830 | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rapidrob:

What most reloaders do not know is over 90% of the smokeless powders we use are made by one company in Florida,
St. Marks. They are the prime manufacture of powders for our military and we reloaders.

Actually, you have your ratios the wrong way round. the vast majority of powder is manufactured in Australia and Europe, with only a small percentage made in the Americas today.

Posts: 422 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
I was writing about American powders But I thank you for your inputs.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 442 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Expro in Canada makes most of the IMR powders. ADI (Australia) takes care of most of Hodgdon stick powders.That leaves the ball powders for Saint Marks.

http://www.imrpowder.com/history.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Johno I couldn't figure out how to attach a pdf file either so here goes the txt from the pdf file........Kiwi

Date: 18/01/2012
Reference No: 4066
To: xxxxxxxxx

Thank you for your enquiry of 17/01/2012 with regard to reloading using ADI Sporting powders. Please find attached an equivalence table for ADI and Hogdon propellants.
These propellants are identical. It should be noted that while IMR is part of Hodgdon, IMR and Hodgdon powders are not necessarily the same powder. So H4227 is the identical powder to AR2205, but IMR4227 cannot be assumed to be identical.
Extreme caution should be taken and loads should be worked up accordingly. Refer to our website at www.adi-powders.com.au or our 5th edition handloaders’ guide for more information, warnings and reloading safety.
We thank you for using ADI Sporting Powders.

Yours sincerely,
ADI Technical Centre
Remember: Never Exceed maximum recommended loads.
Thales Australia, Facsimile: +61 3 5744 1873
Bayly Street, Websites: www.thalesgroup.com.au
Mulwala, NSW 2647, Australia. www.adi-powders.com.au
Postal Address: Private Bag No 1, ACN 008 642 751
Mulwala, NSW 2647, Australia. ABN 66 008 642 751

ADI / Hodgdon Propellants

ADI Powder Hodgdon / IMR naming
Trail Boss Trail Boss
AS30N Clays
AS50N International
AP70N Universal
AR2205 H4227
AR2207 H4198
AR2219 H322
BM2 Benchmark
Not available in Australia 8208 XBR
AR2206H H4895
AR2208 Varget
AR2209 H4350
AR2213H / AR2213SC H4831 / H4831SC
AR2217 H1000
AR2225 Retumbo
AR2218 H50BMG

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dogleg:
Expro in Canada makes most of the IMR powders.

General Dynamics Ordnance and Tactical Systems-Canada Inc:
http://www.gd-otscanada.com/html/en/about/index.php

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rapidrob:
I'm being sent a scope to try by one of the larger manufactures. So far, two brands cannot take the forward impulse of the muzzle brake.

So what scope are you getting?

My blog: Please Comment and Follow
https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
I have a Vortex Viper TSP 24 power.
A Razor may be coming.

NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 442 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm confused, why would you have a Shilen barrel stress relieved as it was done before you received the barrel blank. Give us some info on that. Do your folks have a computer controlled vacuum controlled stress relief oven that is more advantageous than Shilens?

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
Having the stress removed from a turned barrel,not the blank, improves how the barrel nodes play out when fired.
I had my barrel cyryogenically treated. This stress treatment helps accuracy that you can see on target. By removing any stress from the cutter on the lathe, the drilling and cutting of the chamber, mounting the muzzle brake or open sights, etc.
I've been using his barrels from blanks or pre-turned for over 40 years.
Hope this helps with your question.

NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD999:
quote:
Originally posted by Dogleg:
Expro in Canada makes most of the IMR powders.

General Dynamics Ordnance and Tactical Systems-Canada Inc:
http://www.gd-otscanada.com/html/en/about/index.php

General Dynamics bought Expro in 2001, but its still the same plant in the same place.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the info on the powder maker.

NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dres,

check out the newer clamshell designs. The larger and the more holes there are, the louder and less recoiling they are.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post