Find
Notify
Tools

My one mile rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted
In 1978 Remington introduced us to the 8MM Remington Magnum. The popularity of the 7MM Magnum was such that they wanted to manufacture it's "Big-brother". They put the cartridge into their 700 rifle frame. Between the pounding recoil and the very small available bullets, the cartridge failed. This is a shame. for those of you that have owned,shot, or hunted with this caliber, you know how impressive it really is.
Fast forward to 2012. The small arms technology has jumped so far beyond what our forefathers could only have dreamed of, it boggles the mind. Rifles that can shoot miles with MOA accuracy. Bullets made to tolerances that make them darn near perfect and the new powders from St. Marks. Add all of these new factors into the older cartridges and you have a whole new ball-game.
After crunching numbers on the new bullets and powders on my work computer, I decided to resurrect the 8MM Remington Rifle in an Old-School build using state of the art components not previously offered to the shooting public.
I found a well carried by seldom used .300 Weatherby rifle and started my new project.
The was turned to a heavy taper and is 29" long before the muzzle brake is attached. Shillen custom made the blank. 1:10 twist. After the barrel was made, I had it stress relieved. The muzzle was threaded and the crown was cut to match the J&P muzzle brake. No timing washer was needed. A custom reamer was made and I had the throat cut to my specifications. My OAL is not Remington spec's.
The trigger was tuned for no creep and a crisp break at two pounds.
This action is unique to Weatherby/Howa and stocks are not common. I went with a Winchester Model 70 stock that has been completely hollowed out and glass bedded for this barrel and action.
The action has the bolt and locking lugs honed and is butter smooth. It can fire single shot over sized rounds, or normal OAL cartridges from it magazine. The receiver ring has be cut to allow the longer cartridge to be loaded.
The final scope has not been decided on as yet. I'm using a 20 power Eagle-Eye Optics on it now for initial testing only.
The new powders from St.Marks are going to be used. Testing has been done and the results are very impressive. Velocities only dreamed of just a year ago can now be safely reached.
I built this rifle for the purpose of shooting one mile matches. with the new bullets from Sierra and Hornandy, the 220 grain bullet will be still super-sonic far past a mile.
PART 2
What most reloaders do not know is over 90% of the smokeless powders we use are made by one company in Florida,
St. Marks. They are the prime manufacture of powders for our military and we reloaders. Their powders are sold to Hodgdon,who has bought the rights to IMR and Winchester powders as well.
There are three new powders for we reloaders that you need to try.
A little history on the new Hybrid powders is that they are a Ball type powder with the burn caricaturist of stick powders.
(The grains are for the most part,a rounded stick. They meter very well and do not bind the drum.)
What this means is you get a longer burn time,lower pressures,and the highest velocities you have ever seen.
The three new powders are:
Winchester 860 Supreme - a magnum powder and also over bore calibers powder. ( .25-06, 6.5-284 etc)
Hodgdon 100V- An outstanding powder for most centerfire and magnum cartridges
Winchester- Superformance- Really wakes up the varmint cartridges and most middle of the road center fire cartridges, a little too fast for the large magnums.
I have used the 100V and the 860S powders and had to double-check my chronograph to see that it was reading right!
You can easily get up to 300 fps faster velocities of of a 24" and longer barrels. 150 fps out of the short barreled rifles/carbines. If you understand interior ballistics, you know how impressive this really is.
The accuracy I'm getting and low SD numbers show that these news powders are everything they say they are.
I'm a dyed-in-the-wool one or two powders guy and it takes a lot of facts to get me to change my ways. I've been reloading since 1964 and I can tell you flat out, you will not be disappointing with these new powders.
part3

After much testing on paper, I found the perfect load for my rifle.
I had my spotter calling my shots at a 200 yard target and after a sighting shot on the right, I fired five shots,we both thought the rifle had some problems. He could not call the last four shots.
It was not until we drove down to pull the target that we saw all five bullets were in the same hole. After I picked up my jaw, I realized I had a "keeper" of a rifle
I've been shooting all my life. I can work any rifle/pistol action as well as a normal(?) right handed person can.
I found when I do fire one of my left hand firearms, ( a rifle and a shotgun) I have to stop and think about it! HA!

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 442 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rob, welcome to AR. Sounds like you bring some great info to the table. Great looking/shooting rifle!

Posts: 20075 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great shooting. And you are right about a kicking SOB. I had one and couldn't wait to get rid of it.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am not familiar with the new powders that you mention. You talk about velocities and consistency but what about pressures? You also seem to imply an unusually long barrel length to achieve these velocities. Any infomation or sources that you can give would be appreciated.
Thanks, Peter.
PS. I load for just about everything!

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Should be an interesting thread to follow, especially as you try her out at longer ranges. Subscribed.

Posts: 1417 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Relationship between H 100V and H1000, one of my favorite powders?
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
These new Hybrid powders were formulated by Dynamite-Nobel. We as a country bought the rights to manufacture these powders here in the USA.
The powders are very unique as the have the ability to produce much higher velocities and reduced chamber pressures. Many of my 'Maximum" loads are showing chamber pressures at least 5,000 psi lower than "normal" loads.
At work I have the ability to use a Pizo strain gauge on my rifle to measure just what is going on.
Using the Hodgdon brand of powder, 860S, I'm able to push a 200 grain .323 FMJ bullet too 3,300 fps out of my rifle with no signs of pressure problems.
Accuracy is just scary.
I took my rifle out for a scope test ( The forward pull when fired is braking scopes)
The day was very windy so I was not expecting great groups. I sighted in on the 1/2" steel gong set to 500 meters and let fly. My spotter had a very hard time seeing the hits. The sound was not normal as the bullets struck the gong. After 12 shots the scope broke,again.
I drove down to see the target to confirm if there were any hits in the high wind.

The rifle shows that with this powder out of my rifle, it will shoot well. On a calm day, the groups should be much better.

NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 442 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
You need a scope designed for both positive and negative G's. Nightforce NXS would be a good place to start looking

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
I'm being sent a scope to try by one of the larger manufactures. So far, two brands cannot take the forward impulse of the muzzle brake.

NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rapidrob:
I'm being sent a scope to try by one of the larger manufactures. So far, two brands cannot take the forward impulse of the muzzle brake.

I know for a fact that Nightforce NXS and S&B can. You may not want to spend what a S&B cost. I can highly recommend the NXS

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As I seriously doubt a rifle such as yours is even in my distant future as my children are years from needing my finacial support, I however would like to thank you for bringing to my attention the new powders your tying. I plan on buying at least three more rifles, one for myself and two for my sons. They will give me ample reason and oportunity to try out the powders you listed. I will even give them a try in my present two magnum rifles. Especially my 338wm, as it is as accurate as any one can ask of a factory rifle so the powder you suggested for such magnums might just get me to my so called holy grail of consistant .5MOA. I have shot more than just a few such groups, but never consistantly.

Posts: 189 | Registered: 12 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I checked the Hogdon/Winchester/IMR site. No mention at all of those propellants. Any suggestions for info and sources?

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Believe I saw them listed on Powder Valley's site.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

Posts: 2389 | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
It is now in the 100+'s here and the new powders are showing no signs of being temp sensitive.
Midway USA also sells the powders.

NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What kind of muzzle break is that? I am having more rotator cuff and back problems and figure I need to snuggle-up to some kind of really fantastic break.

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post