THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    PRS or other Precision Rifle Matches

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PRS or other Precision Rifle Matches
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dieseltrucker
posted
Going to sign up for a local PRS match. Have a .260, load myself and have good glass. I practice weekly. That said, from what I have read and seen on youtube, this is another beast entirely than me sitting on the bench. Anyone shoot in these and have any advice for a first-timer?

Posts: 240 | Location: Alabama  | Registered: 30 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I've seen some "getting started" articles on PRS and precision shooting. Have you looked at stuff like that? Local precision rifle matches are good practice with less pressure for full-blown PRS. Personally, pace is the biggest thing I noticed in my first matches. I felt constantly rushed to get done before running out of time. If your practice is from the bench, I suspect you'll be behind the curve somewhat. If so, just be prepared to learn and have fun. Most of the PRS guys are friendly and helpful. Don't get down on yourself if you have a bad stage; rather, try to learn from it and carry a good attitude to the next stage. Ask questions and watch your fellow competitors.

Some of the PRS stages a are canned, and you can practice these on your own or with some friends. Cold bore stuff, positions, know-your-limits, etc. You can probably find listings of example or previous match stages to review and practice. Practice these, get comfortable with your equipment, and try to combine speed and accuracy. Practice will show any glaring equipment problems. Something like a bad zero or a failed part will shut you down--it's best to sort that out before hand. Many stages you won't have time to dial, so knowing your reticle to hold off will really help. Rehearse the stage in your mind, make crib notes for dope, if you're not first in the stage watch others to learn. You won't typically have time to work out the problem as you do it, so plan what you want to do before the buzzer goes off. While others are shooting, watch where the dirt flies downrange to see what the wind is doing.

Mostly, have fun! ...you could be golfing.

Posts: 861 | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree that time is an issue when you first start. I always felt rushed. As you get better that wanes. Practice shooting alts and do it without all the gimmick bags. I shot a lot of 22LR at 100yds to 200yds from alts and is done wonders for my positional shooting.

Posts: 518 | Registered: 28 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Best advice if you like it is to get yourself a 22 and start shooting positional shooting. The positionals and wind will seperate the winners from the losers.

It is a lot of fun, I'd shoot it every weekend if I didn't have young children and live in Germany. We had a hell of a nice match one Sunday a month in California.

When I lived in Australia we had it every Saturday and it was amazing. Generally shot 8 or 9 different ranges, and at least 5 positions.

A lot of the matches have movers.

Most fun you can have with yhour clothes on that doesn't involve killing something.

Posts: 7764 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post