Find
Notify
Tools

Did I killed my RPR?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted
Hmmmm.... Owning a RPR chambered for the excellent 6,5 Creedmoor round. Out of the box, it shoots five round groups with 0,5-0,6MOA @100m. At 300m between 0,5 and 1 MOA. I cleaned the barrel after everey 100rounds. So I shoot nearly 1200 rounds. But since the last 100rounds, the accuracy is terrible. Factory american gunner 1 MOA at 100m. At 300m 2-3MOA... Handloaded ammo the same bad results.
Ok, at the range, especial at the 300m, I shoot the rifle excessively. 20-25 rounds without cooling. And after cooling, the next 20-25 rounds... Sometimes, the barrel was very hot... did I killed it?
I hope to get a new drop in barrel, but here in Germany it‘s not easy. Or a gunsmith must turn a barrel blank to conture....

Thanks,

Martin

Posts: 824 | Location: Munich, Bavaria, thats near Germany | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Martin, I was under the impression the 6.5 Creedmoor had a reputation for long throat life, but those 20-25 shot strings with a hot barrel cannot have helped matters.
If you are handloading, you might want to consider Reloder 17, which I believe contains a Bofors additive that causes pressure and temperature to peak further down the bore, reducing throat erosion.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe yes, maybe no...take it to a 'smith and bore scope it. 1200 rounds is quite a few for "hot" cartridges for guilt edge accuracy...and cooking a barrel with heat doesn't help.

It might be the throat, it might be the muzzle, it might be something else like a loose scope, stock etc.

Try seating the bullets out another 10-15 thou or changing to another bullet nose profile.

Throats do have an effect on accuracy but the last 1-2" of barrel is where the final accuracy is determined. I've had several hi-velo, small cals where the accuracy went sour and all I did was a nose job...cut off 1" of muzzle and re-crown for the accuracy to return...NOT AS GOOD as a fresh barrel but plenty good for sage rats out beyond 500 yds.

AND...it could just need a VERY GOOD CLEANING to get below layers and layers of partially removed carbon, copper and powder fouling...down to bare metal and start seasoning all over again...I guarantee I clean my "hot shots" very well but even then sometimes I don't get the crud out completely...all it takes is a few rough spots and copper/guck will build up faster than a fly jumping on a cow patty. Frowner Eeker

Good Hunting tu2 beer

Posts: 1211 | Registered: 25 January 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I'd also be looking at carbon build up in the throat area.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2247 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
instead of a new barrel I'd just have the smith cut mine off, put a few more threads back on, and re-cut the chamber over what was formerly the throat.

Posts: 4962 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
There's an online barrel life calculator that predicts something like 1500 rds for 6.5 C. That figure agrees with what I've read. My RPR is a .308, chosen specifically for barrel life.......and b/c I have lots of .308 cases/projos.

Friend has RPRs in .243 and 6mm C. I tell him never more than 5 in a string before allowing to cool. If you need to shoot long, rapid strings something nitrocarburized or chromed - and with a better expansion ratio - would make sense.

Or just figure on replacing barrels sooner. I'm with Lamar, recut chamber, set back. If that doesn't do it, new bbl time.

Posts: 670 | Location: Dover-Foxcroft, ME | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an AR-15 with a heavy 22" 6.5 Creedmore barrel from McGowen...I'm VERY careful shooting only 5 SLOWLY then letting it cool to ambient temp while I muck about with some other shooter. I do the same with my other AR's...450 Bushmaster and 338 Fed...AND ALL my larger cal rifles.

I have guns from the late 50's early 60's that still shoot 3 shot groups maybe just a tad larger than the original work-ups...MOST have 300-600 rounds through them...AND I've shot out barrels in 3-400 rounds with some of the totally radical wildcat's I've played with...some I NEVER got a group smaller than 3" if I it the target at all.

You just learn over time HOW to treat whatever gun you have as good as you cans to extend it's life...not only barrel life but also the rest of the pieces and parts.

If you can do the work yourself I would agree with rechamber/recrown FIRST...depending on many factors...BUT...if you need a 'smith to do the work then go with a new barrel...it's more cost effective...talk to the 'smith first...you only gain MAYBE half again more rounds fired with a rechamber/recrown and questionable/unknown accuracy till it's done afterwards...

If you are looking for accuracy a new barrel is the only way to go...I usually DON'T bother with a rechamber on guns I want the max accuracy from because many times the burned section extends MUCH farther than just an inch or so of cutback for the rechamber and that forward section just chews on the bullets and makes for a section of hard to keep clean barrel...I never thought it was worth the extra effort when going with a better barrel didn't cost much more.

I've had/built many hot calibers and cutting off an inch and recrowning solved PART of the accuracy issues, it NEVER brought back the new barrel bughole accuracy but it did add hundreds of rounds worth of acceptable "HUNTING" ACCURACY, ≈1/2 TO 1" groups.

My newest addition 6.5-300 WBY Vanguard is doing <.≈0.250" 3 shot groups with 100 rounds gone and ONE bullet/powder/primer/case combo and benchrest prepped ammo...I expect that to last for ≈5-600 rounds then slowly open up to ≈1" by 1000...by then I'll be ≈272 years old and ready to hang it up....but who knows for sure...way to many variables go into barrel life expectancy to know for sure...look at the 220 Swift and all happy horse shite scattered about whining about how fast it chewed up barrels, I've has several that went WAY over 3000 rounds before I turned them into other cals...AND I still have one along with 22-250 and 22-243 AND the ever ubiquitous 223. Big Grin

When that happens I will replace the barrel with a 28" slightly heavier #4 contour...until then I will swap around between my Creedmore, 6.5-284 and 6.5 WBY(and/or all my other varminters)or when I want a little more wind bucking.

I had a 17 Rem whose barrel looked like an overused dirt road for ≈9-10"...when I started missing ratz I chopped off 1" of the barrel and the accuracy came back to ≈0.600" for another two seasons, ≈4-500 rounds, before opening up to ≈.8 to 1" when I put on a new Shilen barrel. It was still shooting good enough to take on game from prairie dogs, whistle pigs and larger out to ≈250 yds or so, but my main meat is sage rats so "NOT Good enough" time to redo.

It's the the last FEW inches of barrel that determines accuracy more than the chamber end...but BOTH ends need to be good to get AND keep shooting those bughole groups.

LOTSA good advice for you to look at in this thread...YOUR decision, YOUR choice. Good Luck Wink

Good Hunting tu2 beer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Martin,

I'm thinking your not cleaning often enough nor thoroughly enough and your way over heating the barrel. I'd address those issues well before considering a barrel replacement.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12842 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I cringed when I read that you shoot up to 25 rounds rapidly.

While I agree with other about proper cleaning of carbon AND copper, heat is the enemy and not to be taken lightly.

Live with your current level of accuracy (after a thorough cleaning) or take more drastic steps outlined above. I suspect you've fried the throat.

Zeke

PS: count yourself among the lucky few who actually shoot a barrel out rather than improperly clean it out!

Posts: 2269 | Registered: 27 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Not sure what cleaning solvents you are using but KG1 Carbon Remover, KG-12 Copper Solvent and Shooter's Choice MC7 Solvent should take care of you. Perhaps Patch-Out if any of the above isn't available.

Heat is a killer but most people enjoy shooting more than cleaning and there may be layers of Copper and Carbon in the barrel.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buglemintoday:

Heat is a killer but most people enjoy shooting more than cleaning ....

You are all right. Frowner I'll try it again with cleaning. I just used Robla Solo and Hoppes # 9.
I was always too euphoric on the 300m shooting range. Here in Germany shooting ranges are generally rare, mostly only 50m and 100m, and 300m the absolute rarest! I know only two ranges here in the south, one is 130km away, the other 250km. If you then get an hour for 50 bucks for rent, you want to take advantage of ....
I will get a Krieger barrel for the RPR. So it will eventually be replaced. Then I'll handle the rifle more carefully ... Wink

Posts: 824 | Location: Munich, Bavaria, thats near Germany | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Yikes! The shooting range there sounds like me taking the boat to the lake here (long distance and expensive)

I used Hoppes #9 on my rifles ever since I started shooting and only recently changed away from it after some tips from the AR members. I would be willing to bet that a good cleaning will get the RPR shooting good again.

Good luck and keep us updated. Your posts may convince me to pick up a Ruger Precision Rifle of my own Big Grin

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buglemintoday:
Yikes! The shooting range there sounds like me taking the boat to the lake here (long distance and expensive)
....Big Grin

Yeap. In Germany, we haven‘t the open range like in great parts of the USA. Too many people and too little space. And this little land is very expensive. Add to that, target shooting is not politically correct enough here.
To built a new range is a great act. Look at the discussions with air rifle ranges in school buildings or town halls. And than you will built a range up to 300m for every gun up to 10.000ftlbs? And we have very strict rules for the shooting range construction, which makes the whole story very expensive.
At the moment, I will loose my 25, 50 and 100m range, where I was shooting the last 25 years. Not the best future for me and my hobby...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah...the bad/sad part of reality. Say "gun" and all the SFB'S, PB's, PERVERTED MAGGOT's and SOCCER MOMS go postal...but say GOLF course, Mall, Housing development or Farm, which are MUCH more deadly to humans and those same perverts go happy on each other... Frowner Mad flame BOOM moon pissers

Good Hunting tu2 beer