THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    New Kid on the Block- 224 Valkyrie
Page 1 2 

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Kid on the Block- 224 Valkyrie
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I just don't see that as much a negative as the benefits of a better cartridge. So what happened with the Nosler??? Next best thing that fell on its face.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1169 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matt salm:
Sorry, I just don't see that as much a negative as the benefits of a better cartridge. So what happened with the Nosler??? Next best thing that fell on its face.

I never understood the rationale for making the 22 Nosler a rebated case. There's no particular shortage of 6.8 bolts that I'm aware of, so why make it an oddball case? Perhaps there's a good reason that I'm unaware of, wouldn't be the first time.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think they put the small case head on the 22 nosler so that it could work with the 223 bolt face. I think this makes sense if you're a brass manufacturer and you see a lot of guns around that are made for the 223. It's one less problem when trying to introduce a new cartridge.

I don't see many SPC based guns around here. I think even the 30-commie is not as common as the 308, which is why I think the various BR cases were made. It's like the PPC/grendel/220 russian but uses a 308 head. Same with the 284 Win. Bigger case but 308 head.

For me, I have a few receivers with magnum bolt faces. This is why the WSSM, WSM, RUM cases appeal to me. I can try something new with a barrel swap.

The AR guys are experimenting and trying to optimize things using guns and magazines initially designed around the 223 or 308. Some of that can carry over to different platforms, but when analyzing it later it might make more sense in an AR context.

Posts: 861 | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I’ve been rebarreling the howa mini rifles to both the 22 and 6mm Grendel chambers. They make very nice compact rifles with better performance than standard 223 based cartridges.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1169 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 70 | Registered: 29 March 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matt salm:

The more I think about it, the more I think you are right. I think the Valkyrie will have some success but it won't be huge.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why not just fast twist a .22-250 barrel? It seems about the same.

Posts: 5210 | Registered: 23 July 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:

I plan on doing just that with a Savage Model 12 [1-6.5 twist] for 95 grain bullets. The barrel chamber will have to be custom reamed to fit the much longer OAL with the 95 grain Sierra Match Kings. Already talked to a major barrel manufacturer and all I need to do is provide 3 "DUMMY" Rounds with the bullet seated where I want it.

The 224 Valkyrie FITS THE AR15 Platform and that is why I predict it will be very popular. The 22-250 OAL is too long to fit the AR15 platform. [Several million AR15 owners.]

22-250 Cartridge Max L = 1.912"

224 Valkyrie Cartridge MAX L = 1.600"

Some Days You Are the Windshield and Some Days You Are the Bug.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 224VALMan:

Those are pretty short. Even shorter than the WSSM somehow.

Posts: 861 | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 224VALMan:
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:

I plan on doing just that with a Savage Model 12 [1-6.5 twist] for 95 grain bullets. The barrel chamber will have to be custom reamed to fit the much longer OAL with the 95 grain Sierra Match Kings. Already talked to a major barrel manufacturer and all I need to do is provide 3 "DUMMY" Rounds with the bullet seated where I want it.

The 224 Valkyrie FITS THE AR15 Platform and that is why I predict it will be very popular. The 22-250 OAL is too long to fit the AR15 platform. [Several million AR15 owners.]

Makes sense on both accounts.

Posts: 5210 | Registered: 23 July 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
With all this long range low-recoil interest currently and a few million AR 10 platform owners-

seems a barrel maker and a ammunition manufacturer could make a 6 or 6.5 twist 22-250 barrel and some 90 to 100 grain loads and have a pretty good market as well

(I also own custom: 220 Swift 1/7, 22 Newton 1/6.5 and a 5.6 Vom Hofe)

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Soon 22 Creedmoor will be the standard for big fast twist 22s.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RyanB:

Once again, The 224 Valkyrie lure is the fact that it fits AR 15 size magazines due to the cartridge and overall length and has a SIMILAR Trajectory of a 6.5 CM out to 1000 Yards with half the recoil.

I'm pretty sure the 22 CM will have a following among bolt action shooters where magazine size restrictions are not an issue.

Savage Model 12 LRPV left port right bolt comes to mind.

Some Days You Are the Windshield and Some Days You Are the Bug.

One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RyanB:

True but I'm sure it will burn out a barrel quickly. Its pretty big overbore. The Valkyrie brings similar efficiency to 223 caliber as the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was responding to the 22-250 comment. The Valkyrie may as well have been a .223 loader to 2.5” except for the magazine issuenit was designed to get around.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post