THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    New Kid on the Block- 224 Valkyrie
Page 1 2 

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Kid on the Block- 224 Valkyrie
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
https://www.americanrifleman.o...-the-next-big-thing/

I find this cartridge very interesting.

Some Days You Are the Windshield and Some Days You Are the Bug.

Posts: 70 | Registered: 29 March 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I liked it when it was called the 219 Donaldson Wasp.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Donaldson Wasp was used mostly with 1:14 Twist barrels which most likely would never stabilize a 90 grain bullet. The Valkyrie is being tested with a twist rate 1:7 which keeps a 90 grain SMK supersonic past 1000 yards and a BC over 500 at the muzzle.Its very possible that a 22-250 REM cartridge with a 1:7 Twist barrel could equal or outperform the Valkyrie.One of the main attractions of the Valkyrie is it fits an AR 15 Platform and has excellent accuracy in the right hands.
https://press.hornady.com/asse...9-donaldson-wasp.pdf

I'm guessing if someone wanted to use the Donaldson Wasp Chamber and cartridge with a
1:7 T/R Barrel might be able to get the similar results as the Valkyrie. Cabelas and Bass Pro already have the Federal Valkyrie Ammo on the store shelves in my area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZz4GT-o27E

From American Rifleman:
"Federal has released some information but is holding some close still, but I can tell you that it's real. I watched Drew and others nail the 1,000-yd. targets time after time, after time. There were also some other very experienced long-range shooters there who dropped the .224 Valkyrie on target so often that it became almost monotonous. And then I stepped back up, focused on the fundamentals and started ringing steel, too."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What about a 22 Nosler?

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with a 22 Nosler especially if someone already owns one. More choices is good.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The problem with high BC bullets in an AR platform is the huge amount of bullet jump from the ogive to the rifling. I have a 6mm Hagar, and to even get the bullets to fit in a cut-out magazine I have to seat them so the ogive is in the case neck.

Of course, you can load them one at a time, but that is worse than a bolt gun in terms of reload time.

Heavy bullets are the way to go, but they don't work too well in AR platform. But maybe in a .22 Nosler or .224 Valkyrie they will work. I suspect the .224 Valkyrie may last as long as the plane with that moniker.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The problem with high BC bullets in an AR platform is the huge amount of bullet jump from the ogive to the rifling. I have a 6mm Hagar, and to even get the bullets to fit in a cut-out magazine I have to seat them so the ogive is in the case neck.

The Weatherby Rifles use lots of FREEBORE where the bullet does not contact the rifling when it is fired and they have a reputation for being great hunting rifles.
The Valkyrie cartridge [6.8 SPC} Federal SMK 90 grain does not have the seating issue you describe with the 6 MM Hagar. The ogive is not buried in the neck of the case.

http://www.federalpremium.com/224-valkyrie/

Don't have any idea how long or popular the 22 VAL or 22N will be around but they have excellent performance right out of the box.

The 6.5 was around for a couple of decades as the 260 REM and a 100 years as the 6.5 x 55. The 260 REM had a very limited following and then came the 6.5 Creedmore. Now almost everyone wants one once Hornady used a different parent cartridge and gave it an unusual name. [Same BASIC performance as a 260 REM] Marketing is everything.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 224VALMan:
Nothing wrong with a 22 Nosler especially if someone already owns one. More choices is good.

Agree completely tu2

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
Any idea of the velocities from an 18" barrel?

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a 220 Swift but for heavy bullets.

Posts: 20075 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scottfromdallas:
Any idea of the velocities from an 18" barrel?

Here is barrel testing info:

https://rifleshooter.com/2018/...-length-on-velocity/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That does look like a nice bullet. I wonder how tough it is. I'd like to try a tight twist 223 WSSM using that bullet. The ballistics are impressive.

Posts: 861 | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AZ, this cartridge won’t have that problem. They pushed the shoulder back until a 90gr SMK fit the neck and the mag.

But I think the sweet spot will be 75s. It’s a 200 FPS jump on 223 at similar pressure and the BC of the 75 ELD-M is .1 better than the 77SMK. All this with 10% more powder so barrel life will be similar.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just go with the 22 Grendel, 224 LBC, AR, or many other names for the Grendel necked down to .224. Shorter case, same or better velocity, and more room for longer bullets.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1168 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matt salm:
Just go with the 22 Grendel, 224 LBC, AR, or many other names for the Grendel necked down to .224. Shorter case, same or better velocity, and more room for longer bullets.

Yes do that. Get a wildcat vs a commercial offering that will likely be pretty popular in the AR community and be worth more if you ever sell it.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post