THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    Is the Remington 700 5R Gen 2 .300Win Mag 24" TB 85197........accurate....???
Page 1 2 

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is the Remington 700 5R Gen 2 .300Win Mag 24" TB 85197........accurate....???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Remington 700 5R Gen 2 .300Win Mag 24" TB 85197

Are these considered an OK medium range firearm.....??? Are they any good at long range....???

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).

Posts: 309 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 March 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never witnessed any platform that is capable of driving itself.

The trigger actuator is usually the weakest link in the equation.

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 425 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dans40XC:
I've never witnessed any platform that is capable of driving itself.

The trigger actuator is usually the weakest link in the equation.

So you know zero about the REMINGTON Model 85197

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).

Posts: 309 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 March 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any Remington platform is capable of MOA accuracy.

Are you capable!

When you can not extract brass from the chamber..get back w/ me.

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 425 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dans40XC:
Any Remington platform is capable of MOA accuracy.

Are you capable!

When you can not extract brass from the chamber..get back w/ me.

What I am looking for is the "Current reputation of this rifle. They were sought after, and disappeared instantly when Remington stopped making them. They instantly went from $999.00 to $1,800.00 right after Remington bankruptcy. I have new one, and was looking to learn the current feeling as to if people are still questing to find one, especially a new one. Or if there is little current interest. Just trying to assess the market.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am surprised at the "Lack" of response, to this thread, given the reputation of this firearm. Maybe I'll just post it for sale at $2,000.00 one way to find if there is any substantial love for this firearm.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alaskan Sourdough:
I am surprised at the "Lack" of response, to this thread, given the reputation of this firearm. Maybe I'll just post it for sale at $2,000.00 one way to find if there is any substantial love for this firearm.

Young feller, listen to Dan.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Are these considered an OK medium range firearm.....??? Are they any good at long range....???

It is all about definitions what's ok what's good for long range. What's medium range what's long range.

Remington 5R barrels have a good reputation for accuracy.

Shoot the thing if it shoots a 2 inch group it's ok and good for medium range. IE out to 400 yards.

If it shoots under and inch its good for IE long range out past 400.

You have an internet connection an in minute or so should be able to find several prices for your rifle.

Depending on how bad you want to sell it price it accordingly.

If to high it well set for a while if priced right it well sell.

Took me about 5 seconds to find several in the 1100 dollar range.

Most likely what you didn't want to hear.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems like we get back to the "will this gun shoot" threads quite often.

Here's my take:
Sell it if you want
Shoot it if you want
Some guys can shoot well and some can't
Some rifles shoot well and some can't.

The other posters are correct! We don't know how you shoot and we cannot predict if the barrel is junk or a hummer until it's shot by someone who can.

Here's a little story:
A decade ago, my bro's buddy was preparing for a mountain goat hunt but said he might need a new rifle because his didn't shoot well.
Bro went to our range with him and, sure enough, the gun shot poorly.
He let my bro shoot it and once he fought through the 8lbs trigger, he shot group after group that was akin to the best custom rifles. Did I mention it was a bone-stock 700 AD '06 with factory ammo?

My take on rifle shooting is that 93.7% of the time, it's the shooter one way or the other.

Take that for what it's worth. Five+ decades from the bench for me and perhaps it means nothing to you!

Whatever you do, have fun and keep shooting!

Zeke

Posts: 2269 | Registered: 27 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:

It is all about definitions what's ok what's good for long range. What's medium range what's long range.

Remington 5R barrels have a good reputation for accuracy.

Shoot the thing if it shoots a 2 inch group it's ok and good for medium range. IE out to 400 yards.

If it shoots under and inch its good for IE long range out past 400.

You have an internet connection an in minute or so should be able to find several prices for your rifle.

Depending on how bad you want to sell it price it accordingly.

If to high it well set for a while if priced right it well sell.

Took me about 5 seconds to find several in the 1100 dollar range.

Most likely what you didn't want to hear.

QUESTION.......I have been looking for "any" of these listed for sale. PLEASE-PLEASE Help me by posting one or two.....PLEASE. What I find are dozens of stores that show that price, but "None Available". Please help, just one or two that is actually available for purchase....thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZekeShikar:

Here's my take:
Sell it if you want
Shoot it if you want

The other posters are correct! We don't know how you shoot and we cannot predict if the barrel is junk or a hummer until it's shot by someone who can.

Here's a little story:
A decade ago, my bro's buddy was preparing for a mountain goat hunt but said he might need a new rifle because his didn't shoot well.
He let my bro shoot it and once he fought through the 8lbs trigger, he shot group after group that was akin to the best custom rifles. Did I mention it was a bone-stock 700 AD '06 with factory ammo?

My take on rifle shooting is that 93.7% of the time, it's the shooter one way or the other.

Take that for what it's worth. Five+ decades from the bench for me and perhaps it means nothing to you!

Zeke

OK......I have only been shooting for 67 of the last 75 years......and I only have (5) Five Shooting Ranges here on my homestead. The "GOAL" of this thread was NOT me or my shooting skills. The goal is to discover the general reputation of this firearm. The only semi-recent sale Post Remington bankruptcy that I have found was on Gunbroker.com It was new and sold for $1,785.00

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK.......looks like there is "finally" another one up for sale on Gunbroker.com
I'll see what this one sells for and that should be of substantial help.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/907219771

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ZekeShikar:

Here's my take:
Sell it if you want
Shoot it if you want

Here's a little story:

Zeke

OK......I have only been shooting for 67 of the last 75 years......and I only have (5) Five Shooting Ranges here on my homestead. The "GOAL" of this thread was NOT me or my shooting skills. The goal is to discover the general reputation of this firearm. The only semi-recent sale Post Remington bankruptcy that I have found was on Gunbroker.com It was new and sold for $1,785.00

Gotcha, sorry to post something you didn't want to hear and didn't fit with what you asked.
Best of luck!

Zeke

Posts: 2269 | Registered: 27 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why did you guys bust this guys balls so much----he asked a simple question!

Hip

Posts: 1794 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hipshoot:
Why did you guys bust this guys balls so much----he asked a simple question!

Hip

It is not a simple question.

But he wants a simple answer.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post