New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Auroras during moose season & other times in Alaska
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am posting a few photos of the Auroras, some which I take during the moose season in Alaska. The Auroras start showing at night about this time of the year (August), trough April. They could show any time of the day, but can only be seeing in the darkness of night.

Posts: 492 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 20 November 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some more:

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Very cool Ray. If I might asked what was the settings that you used on your camera? Exposure time and f stop.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2787 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post

Posts: 672 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cougarz:
Very cool Ray. If I might asked what was the settings that you used on your camera? Exposure time and f stop.

All depends on how bright the Auroras are, and since portions of the lights are brighter than the rest, I prefer to underexpose a little to avoid blowing the highlights. I use a FF Canon camera, and sometimes a cropped-sensor Canon camera, but it does not matter what camera and lens brand you use as long as you can shoot manual.

FF Camera on a tripod, lens set to manual (M). I use a Tokina wide angle lens, focused to the infinite mark, and opened to f/2.8:

ISO 800 if the lights are not as bright, and from 400-600 if the lights are bright. Exposure of 10-13 seconds.

If the lights are very bright and I am still using 800 ISO, I expose for 10 seconds.

And if the lights are just as bright and I am using 500 ISO, for example, then I expose around 13 cocoons maximum to avoid too mush star-trace.

If I were to use a lens with an aperture of perhaps f/4, then I would consider a higher ISO, otherwise longer exposures.

If the lights are not too bright there is a greater chance for more digital noise in the images, but the digital noise can be reduced with software such as the DXO Nik Software package, or one of several other apps. Also, cropped sensors are prone to more digital noise than FF ones.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hannay:
Very nice photos. The last photo had to have a lot of things line up: to have everything line up: northern lights, clear skies, unfrozen lake, calm conditions to give the reflection.

I was lucky that night. happened to be at the right place and time Smiler

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Very nice. That swirly one is really cool...

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
beautiful.

Posts: 6361 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some more. The bright round light is the moon.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will add the "grouse," which is the most common bird around the campsite during moose season in Alaska :

[IMG]https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-dVdNCsg/0/30ecd5e0/L/i-dVdNCsg-L.jpg [/IMG]

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Ray,

Thanks for the info regarding the camera settings.
tu2

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2787 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Great photography! I have never been far enough north to see this, thanks for showing us.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:
Great photography! I have never been far enough north to see this, thanks for showing us.

Back in the '80's while working a Plattsburgh, NY (Northern NY just South of the US/Canadian border)I was watching the Auroras on a cold winter night.

This little fox was in my backyard in the early evening yesterday. Had to use 400 ISO to take a few photos of it.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Outstanding! I'll be back up in Alaska for two weeks in September. Will be looking for the Northern Lights! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Outstanding! I'll be back up in Alaska for two weeks in September. Will be looking for the Northern Lights! tu2

Hopefully there won't be cloud cover when you come to visit, and that the Auroras are showing. All depends on solar activity. For example, a solar flare that is directed to Earth usually takes around 48 hours to show in the interior of Alaska.