Notify
Tools

Prime lens
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Great photos!

Here in a month or so I am going to order a Canon 135mm f/2 Prime lens to add to the bag

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buglemintoday:
Great photos!

Here in a month or so I am going to order a Canon 135mm f/2 Prime lens to add to the bag

That's a classic lens. You will love it. It has many uses, including portraiture with a FF camera (from a distance, of course). Take a look:
https://pixelpeeper.com/lenses/?lens=571

Posts: 492 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 20 November 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ray Alaska:
quote:
Great photos!

That's a classic lens. You will love it. It has many uses, including portraiture with a FF camera (from a distance, of course). Take a look:
https://pixelpeeper.com/lenses/?lens=571

The old 400 L without IS does quite well for me in Alaska. Difficult light, and handheld:

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Went to my nephew's wedding high up in the mountains near Flagstaff. Used my usual travel kit, a 28mm and an 85mm.

First one is my wife and one of my daughters.

I should mention that I was NOT the wedding photographer. I have no idea how to do that and would certainly make a mess of things.

After the wedding my brother and I did a road trip through Northern Arizona. The 28mm is a good scenery lens. This one is taken from John Ford point in Monument Valley.

This shot reminds me of one of the quips about taking pictures; "If you want to take beautiful pictures, start by standing in front of something beautiful and have your camera with you."

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Taken with the 400mm L prime mentioned above:

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
The road from Mexican Hat to Monument Valley.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wink and I had hoped to get together during his visit to my home state (adopted) of Arizona. However, while he was visiting with relatives in AZ, I was visiting with family in Mass, RI, and KY. I still owe him a Mexican lunch and hopefully can deliver next visit.

I have recently upgraded my photo gear significantly by adding a Nikon D800, a Nikkor 24-70 f2.8 lens, a Nikkor 28 mm f1.8 G lens, and just bought a Nikkor 85mm f1.8 G lens which I have not yet received. Hopefully, my photo skills will improve enough to justify the new gear. Even with the D800, 24-70 and 28mm lenses, I did not take them with me on my trip. They are just to big, heavy and bulky with today's travel restrictions. Instead, I took the best small camera that I've ever owned and used, and there have been more than a few in that category. It is a Nikon Coolpix P7100. While I would have really enjoyed getting more acquainted with my new gear on the trip, The P7100 worked just fine, as it always has. I'll attach a couple photos to show just how capable the little camera is.

Posts: 455 | Location: Sierra Vista, AZ | Registered: 06 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This eagle was quite far, so i had to crop the photo. As you can see on the eagle's eye, the older Canon 400mm L USM (no IS), is quite sharp.

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Great photos, I need to find a new photo hosting site to share pics on.

The Eagle photo looks awesome for a cropped picture, still sharp

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Great photos, I need to find a new photo hosting site to share pics on.

The Eagle photo looks awesome for a cropped picture, still sharp

I store only very small images that are good for emailing and posting on the Internet at Photobucket. I use external hard drives to store the full-size TIFF images and RAW files. A lot of people use "Flickr" instead.

I took these recently using the Canon 400 L prime (the old one without IS):

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tow more. The first one is a very young arctic ground squirrel, and the second an adult nearby (probably the mother or father):

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Same family of Arctic ground squirrels:

This one is kind of funny. The little ball of fur got real close to the camera, but I moved and it ran like it saw the devil:

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I promised TSquare I would post a couple of pictures taken with the Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 lens. These two were from a couple of days ago.

My granddaughter Alice on a swing:

My wife and two of my daughters:

I find it to be an excellent people picture lens, probably the best short telephoto lens for under $1,000 that Nikon makes. My daughter rented some rooms in an old vineyard farmhouse near a town called Trets in the south of France, where these were taken.

As far as I can tell there are two aspects of this lens that keep it from being in the "world class" category: 1) it does not focus as quickly as many of the modern Nikkor lenses, making it not the best choice for action shots, and 2) there is a significant amount of optical aberrations when used at f/1.8. For instance, especially with back-lit shots, there is considerable purple fringing. I correct this in post-processing (DxO is very good for this and I created a pre-set in the software for this lens) and it's possible that the camera corrects for this if you shoot jpg files, but I don't know, I only shoot RAW files.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice, Wink!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wink,

Many thanks for the pix. Hope you had a great week down south. Along with several zillion other folks, I'm having an issue with PB ,so can't post any photos until I get another host. I've very pleased so far with what few photos Ive done with the 85mm 1.8 Nikkor.

Posts: 455 | Location: Sierra Vista, AZ | Registered: 06 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Isn't Photobucket great? I don't know why my pictures don't appear on AR, since my account seems to be up to date and if you click on the question mark icon it takes you to the pictures. I guess I need to look around for another host.

Actually, I now know why they don't appear, it's because there is only one plan which provides 3rd party hosting, and it's more expensive than the plan I now have.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:
Isn't Photobucket great? I don't know why my pictures don't appear on AR, since my account seems to be up to date and if you click on the question mark icon it takes you to the pictures. I guess I need to look around for another host.

Actually, I now know why they don't appear, it's because there is only one plan which provides 3rd party hosting, and it's more expensive than the plan I now have.

Yes, they want too much money for an account which includes 3rd party hosting like we do here and other photo forums. I am good to go with them until December 2018 on my Plus account, but I plan to cancel my account with them and try SmugMug or another image hosting website.

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:

Wait! Now they're back. I guess I'll never figure this out.

One from last Christmas, same 85mm lens.