Find
Notify
Tools

Backup storage on the run
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted
I have not tried this new gadget, but from the video it looks like it actually solves a couple of problems without creating new ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qx7dSIaQ6HQ

I haven't tried it out so cannot provide a testimonial, but I like what I see. To keep it within a reasonable budget, getting the smallest Gnarbox (256 Go) and transferring to a large capacity pocket SSD drive (I have a VERY small Samsung 1 To drive) would be the logical thing to do, incidentally providing two backups.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've recently purchased a Nexto DI model (NPS-10) for backing up photos in the field. It has worked well so far.

Posts: 231 | Location: Washington state | Registered: 03 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure storage in the field is really a problem. Now that 256GB Class 10 SD cards have become so inexpensive, storage is a snap. A single 256GB card can hold over 47,000 18 megapixel photos. Not sure how many photos you guys take, but 47,000 pictures is a bunch for any one person to take in a few weeks.

It takes me more than an hour or two to view, select, and post process just 100 photos. Can't image sorting through 1,000 pictures. That would seriously cut into my drinking time.

Our problem is we run 30 game cameras that generate on average 10,000 - 15,000 pictures a week and several hours of video. In addition, our game scouts generate another 1,500+ pictures and hours of video files a week. Simply processing this volume of files is a daunting task. So we have been experimenting with several AI programs for processing. So far, it has cut the number of manhours processing photos by well over 800% and we expect greater results as we move forward.

Just how many photos do you guys take on an outing and how many hours/days/months are you investing to review and process them?

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I think the product mentioned is more about field back-up where you have no electricity for longish periods, where your camera is subject to the elements and the risk of losing the data on your camera's memory card is increased. Maybe hunting, maybe hiking, maybe camping in the wild, any situation where you might encounter the unexpected in the middle of nowhere.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With a 256GB Class 10 SD card running about $33 bucks, not sure I see the value in spending 15 times that amount for a $500 GNARBOX. But some photo folks want to buy the latest greatest gimmick soooo...

Speaking of pizzing money away, I pickup a Google Pixel 4 with the enhanced night-mode setting for astrophotography work - Night Sight. It can take upto a four minute exposure. The results have been jaw dropping to say the least. It basically stitches together a series of 15 second shots eliminating star streaks. Astrophotography is no longer a challenge.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote