Find
Notify
Tools

Western USA road trip
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted
I spent the last ten days on the road; Arizona, Utah, Wyoming and Montana. This shot might give you a hint as to my destination:

Or maybe this:

But I wasn't expecting to see Sandhill Cranes:

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Very nice. We stayed in the NW corner of the park in 2004

Posts: 6384 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
When in Utah we stopped at Bryce Canyon.

I realise that almost every landscape from Bryce Canyon highlights the orange/ochre colors, which are spectacular. But there is also a graphic aspect which works for B&W as well.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Outstanding! tu2 Do you have pics of Bryce Canyon in full color as well? Love the Black and White contrast!

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Like Saeed, I take a lot of pictures.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wink:

They are great picks. I really like Bryce Canyon and was there a few weeks back. It is 5-6 hours from where I live.

I took some pictures of some Desert Bighorn Sheep while I was there. When I learn how to post pic's., I will post them.

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
awesome pics. I have a dup of your first one :-)
from 2002. probably N990

Posts: 6384 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is an old story about Ansel Adams that is true. And that is that not only did he drive around a lot to look at the scenery, but also to look at the light.

I like these photos very much. But I don't like the light they were shot in. The light seems very harsh coming mostly from straight up in the sky. I think a more raking light looks better, and it seems that both early morning light and early evening raking light give a nicer rendering of the landscape.

if you have a really beautiful place near you, try to go there once every 3 hours for a day or two. Look at the different lighting patterns. And do this once in the fall, winter, spring and summer. Don't just glance. Really look. I think you will do better work that you will like better yourself.

KJK

Posts: 678 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kolo-Pan:
There is an old story about Ansel Adams that is true. And that is that not only did he drive around a lot to look at the scenery, but also to look at the light.

I like these photos very much. But I don't like the light they were shot in. The light seems very harsh coming mostly from straight up in the sky. I think a more raking light looks better, and it seems that both early morning light and early evening raking light give a nicer rendering of the landscape.

if you have a really beautiful place near you, try to go there once every 3 hours for a day or two. Look at the different lighting patterns. And do this once in the fall, winter, spring and summer. Don't just glance. Really look. I think you will do better work that you will like better yourself.

I don't disagree with a single thing you have mentioned. But you are missing some information. This was not a photography trip, I used no tripod and I was not looking for the kind of light that adds to full rich tones such as in the blue hour. This was "drive-by shooting" with my brother as driver (and he set the itinerary and the hours according to where he wanted to be) and another friend. I think it would be safe to say that the machine has not yet been invented that could measure their indifference to photography. It was almost always mid-day and I had to beg them to stop the car for just a moment, or to take a pause during a hike.

So rest assured, I do know how to photograph a landscape. And you are correct, these could almost be called a "when not to do it" series.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't you just wish that someday you could just jump in a nice van that's big enough to have a few comforts and a whole bunch of great photography equipment and a few thousand bucks in the pocket and about 2 weeks of free time to just take a nice drive in a place that excites your eyes and just shoot pictures to your hearts content? I know I do,

KJK

Posts: 678 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Back to Arizona this last December. Took a hike in Saguaro National Park near Tucson.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice, the bit of color on the horizon really adds to the scene. Must say I have no idea how you did it!

Posts: 129 | Location: west MN | Registered: 22 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Great pics! Been to those places many times. tu2

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rglenz:
Very nice, the bit of color on the horizon really adds to the scene. Must say I have no idea how you did it!

Totally by accident. I use a RAW convertor called PhotoLab 6 which is made by DXO, a French company. They have some preset options that claim to simulate film (harking back to when that was still a thing). Anyway, one is for an infrared black and white film with a filter and it came out like this. Fortunately I have saved it as a TIFF file because I updated the software and it no longer does this. I have not been able to do this since I updated the software.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A challenge for those better at it than I, there is a frontage road next to I-70 that goes back towards Cove Fort from Fremont State Park on the north side. After a few miles it turns north out of that canyon up Clear Creek through a gap just wide enough for the road and the water. The walls are straight up for what must be 200 feet, and I do not know how to get a picture of it...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14371 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What camera/lenses?

Beautiful work.

-Every damn thing is your own fault if you are any good.

Posts: 15052 | Registered: 20 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Mitchell:
What camera/lenses?

Beautiful work.

Sorry for not responding, it's been months since I looked at this thread. I use two different cameras: a Leica Q2 with a fixed 28mm lens (the cactus pictures) and a Nikon D850 with a variety of Nikkor lenses, 20mm, 58mm, 70-200mm and 200-500mm. I generally use Lightroom Classic for post-processing but the DxO Photolab 6 works better for some images. The latter has excellent lens distortion correction and world class noise reduction for high ISO pics.

One of Us
Picture of swaincreek
posted Hide Post
Wink, did you take these photos of Bryce from or close to a vehicle or did you hike to these places ?
The reason i ask is would love to go there but cardio issues now limit any serious hiking.

Posts: 160 | Location: Lakeland Fl . | Registered: 16 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
The Bryce Canyon pictures were taken about 50 yards from a parking area. No strenuous hiking involved.

One of Us
Picture of swaincreek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:
The Bryce Canyon pictures were taken about 50 yards from a parking area. No strenuous hiking involved.

Thanks much !

Posts: 160 | Location: Lakeland Fl . | Registered: 16 July 2010Reply With Quote