Find
Notify
Tools

35MM Slides to digital
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of swaincreek
posted
Any suggestions to converting my slides to a digital format ?
Is it best to buy a scanner or pay for a service ?
I probably have about 500 slides .
Thanks for any input .

Posts: 160 | Location: Lakeland Fl . | Registered: 16 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went thru this with several thousand slides. I started with a scanner but it was impossible to control the dust and the time required was a real pita. I ended up having them done professionally. It cost a bit but was worth it.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swaincreek:
Thanks for any input .

You can use a scanner such at the Epson perfection V7000 with an app (software) named VueScan. You would have to dust every slide with a lens brush before you scan it, and once scanned you can use PhotoShop to remove imperfections and enhance the photo. That is what I do with my slides, but it takes a lot of time. For that reason I would agree with swanicreek to have it done professionally.

Posts: 492 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 20 November 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
My buddy just sent me a link a few days ago for Legacybox. We have not tried it yet.

I'm always concerned about getting hunting and gun related stuff done

Posts: 6380 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These are the people I used: https://larsendigital.com/
They are always having sales, offer different levels of processing,etc. I did lots of hunting photos with no problems.
C.G.B.

one of us
Picture of MoreBS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ray Alaska:
quote:
Originally posted by swaincreek:
Thanks for any input .

You can use a scanner such at the Epson perfection V7000 with an app (software) named VueScan. You would have to dust every slide with a lens brush before you scan it, and once scanned you can use PhotoShop to remove imperfections and enhance the photo. That is what I do with my slides, but it takes a lot of time. For that reason I would agree with swanicreek to have it done professionally.

I bought a refurbished V7000, it works great!

Get Close and Wack'em Hard

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I took this picture in 1981-2. I opened an app on the PC with a white background held the slide about a foot away and snapped the picture with a Nikon 60mm macro. In a pinch it worked.

Problem I have is I'm color lazy (partially color blind) so touching up the colors are tough.

Posts: 6380 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
I copied a lot of my old 35mm colour slides onto a digital format by running the slides through my carousel magazine projector onto a good clean screen at relatively close range and setting up a digital camera on a tripod just under the projector lense to photograph each picture as it was projected onto the screen. Quite quick to rattle through a 120 slide magazine and trip the camera shutter each time.
Transferred from camera to computer to keep forever.

Couple of examples below, keeping in mind the 35mm slides were 15 - 20 years old. I note where there is some black in the original slide picture it shows up with a slight pattern on the digital picture, probably from the screen surface but not noticeable with other colours in the original slide pictures.

35mm slides photographed off screen with digital camera:

Ancient 14 year old chamois with horns worn to stubs, translucent to the bone in places.

Nice trophy chamois that was accompanying old dad, unseen, but unfortunately for him he whistled at me after I got up to the old boy and once located he met the same fate. Such is hunting.

Posts: 3847 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote