Find
Notify
Tools

Film
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted
Just out of curiosity here; I used a Nikon F + an EM for years,still have them as well as another top of the line F that my son bought for me when he was in the service.(You can get some great deals on R+R.going through Japan.) Auto advance,etc.I also have a dual lens Yashika Mat 120 studio camera that was my grandfathers as well as a couple of Eastman bellows that were his as well but thats another story. With the advent of the digital age + the iphone cams no one seems to be using film anymore.This just came to my attention a couple of days ago because I was asked to take some pics for a friends artwork at his funeral memorial service.I have not bought any 35 MM film in years + am not sure if I can.I can't seem to find any 120 either or anyone who would develop it.I have an exposed roll in the camera from 30+ years ago,wonder whats on it.Any input?

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
There are probably people in a town nearby that can steer you in the right direction.

http://www.precision-camera.co...lab/film-processing/

http://www.hollandphoto.com/html/

While they might not have film, they may know where to get it locally. Have you tried Walmart?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Fuj...llinktype=10&veh=aff

It would seem you can get it on Amazon too.

https://www.amazon.com/Kodak-E...5WNZGG4C6N8TGA6689XE

Remaining stocks of 120 film have become very expensive, in the $35 to $40 range, for a 5 roll pack.

I used a Yashica Mat 124 for quite a while. Took great pictures.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Bought some Tri-X recently, for the Canon for old time's sake. Now thinking of going really retro and building a wet plate camera.

cuckoo

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16364 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Bought some Tri-X recently, for the Canon for old time's sake. Now thinking of going really retro and building a wet plate camera.

cuckoo

Bloody hell, you lot are going to be making flint heads for your spears to go hunt elephant with soon!

We are in the 21st century now, and digital RULES!

I can remember the headache one gets when going on safari.

I used to buy anything from 60-100 rolls of 35 mm film to take on a safari.

Several of us having cameras.

Then one has to ration the films, so that all are used by the end of the hunt, but one also does not want to economize and miss a great opportunity.

When we got back, I sent all the rolls to be developed.

And when I got them back, everyone decides which ones they like to have copies of.

Mark all the negatives accordingly, and have hundreds of prints made, at great expenses.

Qualitywise, our photos were no where near as good as we get today, even from small pocket cameras.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66923 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

Just to bring you up on current events, did you know that many hunting blocks in the USA count about 1/3 of the deer and elk hunters using black powder rifles? They even have their own season.

I guess some people just like to do things the old fashioned way. When you get a picture that looks like an Ansel Adams print from one of your digital cameras, let us know. Just saying, there's still room for both.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I miss film like I miss polio.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Wink. That price is not at all out of order,especially for a rarity.Try to buy a box of 41 Colt ammo for under $80.00.I am familiar with that store,I will check it out.Saeed,damn,did you bitch at the temperature of your sundowner? Living it is the experience. Opus1,I must confess that
as I appreciate the advances in technology sometimes the old ways are better;at least for dinosaurs like me.Thanks for the feed back guys.Best, Randy

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
If you know why you are taking pictures then it is easy to know what format, whether film or digital, you'll want/need. I think Nick Brandt's photography is some of the best I have ever seen. They all start as a B&W negative from a Pentax 67ii. I don't see anything a lot better coming from digital origins.

http://www.iso1200.com/2012/04...otographer-that.html

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No film for me. Digital is the future, and with a good Raw processor plus PhotoShop or similar application one can do just about anything at a fraction of the time it takes to process and print film.

Art Wolfe is just but one of thousands of very famous digital photographers:
http://artwolfe.photoshelter.c...0&_ACT=search&hmpg=y

Posts: 492 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 20 November 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are a few places that still deal in that ancient format. Miller's comes to mind for film and processing.

Lomography sells most film formats including 120.

Digital reigns supreme these days, but there are still experimenters that keep film alive.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't miss the days of variances from lab to lab to lab. You never knew how your pictures would turn out. Russian roulette mixed with Christmas.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Years ago when we used to have those little photo-mat kiosks on every corner,a friend developed his skill by taking rolls of pics under different lighting,etc. + then when he picked up the pics he just rejected them. Pretty sorry but he did get to see the results of his pics w/o paying for it.Went on to be a well paid photographer who does'nt remember me or anyone else.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I still have and use both my Hasselblad and my Sinar cameras for black and white.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Just out of curiosity here; I used a Nikon F + an EM for years,still have them as well as another top of the line F that my son bought for me when he was in the service.(You can get some great deals on R+R.going through Japan.) Auto advance,etc.I also have a dual lens Yashika Mat 120 studio camera that was my grandfathers as well as a couple of Eastman bellows that were his as well but thats another story. With the advent of the digital age + the iphone cams no one seems to be using film anymore.This just came to my attention a couple of days ago because I was asked to take some pics for a friends artwork at his funeral memorial service.I have not bought any 35 MM film in years + am not sure if I can.I can't seem to find any 120 either or anyone who would develop it.I have an exposed roll in the camera from 30+ years ago,wonder whats on it.Any input?

So, did you ever get that old roll developed?