New
Find
Notify
Tools

Drones
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've been thinking of getting a drone for aerial still and video photography. Not looking for pro or publication quality, more for family and fun.

Looking over the B&H Photo site it seems there are dozens of choices over a wide range of prices.

Anyone at this site have any recommendations? I'd be planning to spend in the range of $400 - $800.

Thanks for any info you can provide!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
DJI is the leader, but as you have probably figured out, there is a plethora of choices. The Phantom 3 Standard starts at $500 and the Phantom 4 starts in the $1400 range. Both models take amazing video and are quite easy to fly. Beyond just the quad, also consider the ground station software. This is where DJI really shines above all others.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Opus1. I read quite a few positive reviews of the two DJI models on the B&H site.

I didn't see anything about the ground station software, glad you mentioned it. More to consider!

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have been using the DJI PHANTOM 4 for while now, and love it.

Look in the Photo and Video Forum.

In fact, we have just ordered two more to take on safari.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66927 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Saeed. I've settled on a DJI, still undecided which model. The Phantom 3 with 2.7K camera is $500, with 4K $600 (all prices at B&H).

Last week the P-4 was $1,400. Certainly I appreciate its added flying features over the P-3 but couldn't justify more than double the price. I had pretty much settled on a P-3 4K.

Just checked again and I see B&H has reduced the price on the P-4 to $1,200! They don't make these decisions easy for a fellow!

Loved your videos, the sharpness and image quality is astounding.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks again Opus and Saeed for the good advice.

I ordered the Phantom 4 from B&H. Cost a bit more than I originally intended, but with the reduced price and the added flying features of the 4 over the 3 I think it is worth it.

Saeed's excellent videos really helped make up my mind!

Administrator
posted Hide Post
We have been flying our drone in pretty stiff winds - and trying to land it in very restricted spaces.

Also, I have been trying to get others to do this.

Some seem to get the grip of it after a while, while others struggle quite a bit.

In some areas, there is no even place to land the drone, so we tried landing it on the drone backpack.

Normally, this is not a major problem, but when it is blowing hard it does become quite a job.

We found the best way to manage this is to stand right behind the landing place, and turn the drone facing away from you.

The reason for this is that the controls are easier to manage.

When the drone is facing you, the direction control is backwards, and that can throw people off.

We have been doing aerial surveys with it, and it works like a charm. In fact, we have been using it non stop, we got 6 batteries for it.

The batteries charge pretty quick, but I have ordered a charger that charges 3 batteries at once to take on safari.

Now I will get even more questions how I mange to actually hunt when I am taking so many photos and videos jumping

I am planning to use the drone when we stop for lunch. There is always plenty of animals wherever we stop by the river.

I also carry a small zoom camera in my trouser pocket.

Posts: 66927 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Canuck32
posted Hide Post
A good forum for the phantom is phantom pilots.com . Lots of good help there for you.

Drones are great and I've even used mine (inspire1) in finding a lost dog.

A few tips I'll offer for flying them are:
1) after firmware update ensure you do an IMU cal and a compass cal.
2) if your drone is not flying straight in flight remember to do a RC stick cal
3) altitude is your friend. Practice advanced flying manoeuvres at altitude, then work lower.
4) practice flying in atti mode. One day you will have a gps issue or compass issue and need to fly in atti to save the craft.
5) fly with full batteries. Partially depleted batteries tend to not read accurately what is left for power remaining and is the number one reason for crashing behind pilot error according to DJI.

Have fun.
Here's a video I did for a friend that was in 30 knot winds that was a bit challenging at times https://youtu.be/8K53M9vz6Xs

Posts: 615 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 17 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Excited to test the phantom 4.
DJI has been at the forefront since the beginning and the newer models are proving better and better.
Just a note : best you check on the local laws if you are planning to take it with you. I have had problems bringing in these "agents of war" in countries such as Cameroon and Zimbabwe. I also believe Tanzania requires a special permit which may be enforced in the near future.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very much enjoying the Phantom 4. If anyone else is considering a drone, I can say all the advice above from Opus1, Saeed, and Canuck32 is spot on.

B&H had packages with additional batteries for $100, vs. around $170 if bought separately. I got one extra, if I was doing it again I'd get two extra at least.

I darn near crashed it into the front of my pickup truck while manually landing out in the field. As Saeed mentioned when it is approaching you it's easy to get the controls working the opposite of what you expect.

I finally smartened up and zipped it 15 feet up so there was nothing it could hit, then got it oriented as I wanted. As Canuck32 says altitude is your friend!

Also as Canuck32 suggested, keeping everything calibrated helps it fly straight, and keeps horizons straight as well.

I don't like landing it on bare dirt as the propellers kick up dust that can settle on the lens. And sometimes in the field the grass is a bit tall. I now carry a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet about four feet square as a portable "landing strip".

It really opens up a whole new world, I'm not sorry I spent a bit more than originally intended.

One of Us
Picture of Canuck32
posted Hide Post
Glad your enjoying it. I use a 4x4 ft piece of plywood for my landing pad as the wind won't move it and if your in taller grass it more stable landing pad.

If you have that much to fight for, then you should be fighting. The sentiment that modern day ordinary Canadians do not need firearms for protection is pleasant but unrealistic. To discourage responsible deserving Canadians from possessing firearms for lawful self-defence and other legitimate purposes is to risk sacrificing them at the altar of political correctness."

- Alberta Provincial Court Judge Demetrick

Posts: 615 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 17 November 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Many people have been asking me for drone videos, so I have put them on my phone, which makes it easier to send via WHATSAPP.

If any of you wish to have these video, please send me a PM with your WHATSAPP phone number, and I will be happy to send you some.

one of us
posted Hide Post
For some serious uses watch the videos of the earthquakes in Italy .Some were taken by the Italian firefighters [Vigili del Fuoco ]
Excellent use for a drone !