New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cheat sheet for trophy animal photography
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I will be going on a hunting safari with some friends next year to photograph their hunt. Does anyone know if there is a cheat sheet or some type of book with suggested poses for animals/hunters? I have been working on making one, but if one is available, that would simplify things, thanks.

Posts: 231 | Location: Washington state | Registered: 03 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I don't know if there is a specific book on the subject. But, depending on how and who you hunt with, there may be a lot of knowledge with you. If you are to hunt in Africa then the Professional Hunter, or designated hunting guide, has probably seen more trophy pictures taken than any single photographer and they usually do a very good job of preparing the animal before the shots are taken. They clean the animal, they position him to take advantage of the direction of light as well as background and in many cases take the photograph with the hunter's camera or even their own. If you are not hunting, only accompanying the hunters you will have the opportunity of doing some "story-telling" photography during the hunt, in and around camp and taking portraits or candids of all the staff. I have found it sometimes difficult to be both photographer and hunter. I do better when I'm doing one or the other and not both.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Your initial post doesn't elaborate on what you are willing to lug around all day in the bush or where the hunt is to take place.

If you are going to Africa (I wish I were!) and have already been there, then you probably already know the environmental conditions: dirt, dust, wind, heat. And there are the photographic conditions: harsh light most of the time, very short "golden hour" for the warm light that enhances photographs, the black skin of the Africans sometimes challenges exposure settings and post-processing (unless you've already dealt with that before).

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Here is a "don't":

The ball cap puts the face in the shade. The massive number of oil spots on the sensor has to be removed in post processing and the rifle pointing at my head is an awkward composition.

This is a better version, face has some light, most of the oil spots (not all!) have been removed and the rifle left out since it was a distraction.

But having the rifle in the trophy picture can be a souvenir whose inclusion has merit. Also, a relaxed, natural posture is almost always better than any other. Cropping to a format different than the original can be good as well.

Almost all my trophy pictures have been taken with a wide angle zoom lens, from a low angle, camera almost on the ground since that is where the trophy is. That lens offers a lot of flexibility since trophy size and the place may not allow a lot of setting up. Moving a Cape Buffalo around just to get the angle you want isn't always a piece of cake.

Last tips, whether needed or not, if you can leave your lens on your camera and not be bothered with lens changes on the fly you will significantly diminish the chance of getting dust or other crud on the sensor. I recommend two identical camera bodies and two flexible zoom lens; one wide and one telephoto for the occasional wildlife shots and portraits.

The above pictures were taken with a crop sensor Nikon D7000 (16 MP). Massive number of pixels is not necessary. If I were being paid to take trophy pictures I would take a powerful flash, reflectors, enlist the help of the trackers to place equipment and hold reflectors, a gray card and X-rite color passport. But where is the fun in that?

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Last but not least, the man in this picture was our guide and he was a very good one. Some of you may remember the comments we made about him in my hunt report of that safari. His name is Idrissa. He was murdered by Islamist terrorists who have been wreaking havoc on Burkina Faso the last couple of years. This was a safari in a truly wild place, not a fence in the country. May his eternal soul rest in peace.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I was just having a chat with another member on this subject. I'm not a technical expert by any means, but i can tell you when I see hunters get too artsy with pics I start rolling my eyes. The happy couple snuggling behind the bushbuck in the setting sun is gauche.

Being deferential to old-school stuff almost as a rule, you'd be hard-pressed to find white hunters or client hunters of old doing much beyond standing or kneeling right next to the animal - no forced perspective or trick of the lens to make something look like it's not. Honest pictures seem to indicate something of the hunter. If it's an animal alone, I have an affinity for the pics that show the animal on its chest and head arranged with horns up. The idea to show as much of the animal as possible.

As to the animal pics above - my favorite is the roan (with the Wiebe 9.3 x 64, I believe?) A hand on the horns is a nice touch (no pun intended), there is no pretense or fakery. I'd be happy to hang this pic anywhere.

Lastly, the pic of Idrissa is fantastic. Having pics of those you met along the way I think is important, for the very reason that no one knows what tomorrow may bring. At least his name, face, and story will live on in spite of the evil doings of the Islamists.

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I also like to include camp staff in my approach to safari photography. And I usually end up preferring black & white conversions.

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
And one last one of our team at dawn.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
really good stuff!

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I always take a bizillion pics of everything from every angle, mood, time of day, etc, on any trip that I take-be it Safari or otherwise. Oftentimes the ones that I don't think will be that memorable, are the ones that turn out to be so. My suggestion is to carefully study Saeed's Safari pics to get a feel for what to consider taking pics of and how to approach the proposed subjects. IMHO,it's so important to take more than just trophy pics, but everything and everyone connected with the experience. And, off the cuff, non-staged pics often get what you're really hoping and looking for. Just my two centavos worth.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As an aside, both of those Rifles look really nice!

KJK

Posts: 675 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kolo-Pan:
As an aside, both of those Rifles look really nice!

Here they are side by side. Both built by the same man.