New
Find
Notify
Tools

Photoshop Image Stacking
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Interesting video on Photoshop image stacking.

Photoshop Image Build

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Very cool, and a nice peek behind the curtain of how these pics are made. Dave Wesbrook once sent me pics he took of some Ferrari’s and rolls royces. He used film. He was damn good.

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I'm glad I don't have to do that for a living. I could never be "that" kind of photographer.

In fact, many of the great images you have seen, from advertizing to photojournalism to landscape, were not post-processed by the person taking the picture but by some post-processing expert. They might even be two different talents in many cases. I doubt if the majority of great sports photographers, whose deadlines are a matter of minutes, ever post-process anything.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I agree with you Wink.

Post processing seems to be a specialized skill. I generate an ass-load of visual marketing product, but I’m not a graphic artist or designer. I generate the idea, the basic drawings and layout, then let the pros make it look good. I just don’t have the skill with Illustrator or Photoshop, et al., to do the work. Doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate their skill though...

...and I never, ever ask them to make it *POP*

Ha!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
On a somewhat similar subject, there also is focus stacking in macro photography. The idea is to show most of the subject in focus (or the entire subject in focus). Nowadays the camera itself does some of the processing, and the rest is left to the photographer or somebody else to complete.
https://www.flickr.com/people/lordv/

Posts: 492 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 20 November 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ray Alaska:
On a somewhat similar subject, there also is focus stacking in macro photography. The idea is to show most of the subject in focus (or the entire subject in focus). Nowadays the camera itself does some of the processing, and the rest is left to the photographer or somebody else to complete.
https://www.flickr.com/people/lordv/

Some excellent photos there.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did not view the video, but I believe the topic in question is High Dynamic Range imaging. I first came across this when I went to an exhibition of photographs that looked nothing like the ones I take! One of the photographers there told me about it. basically you take multiple photographs of the exact same scene, using different exposures, and then use software to combine them into one image that is printed. the results are amazing. You can Google it under this name if it relates to the topic under discussion. If not, please excuse the intrusion.
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Not exactly what the guy was going but similar. If you look at Zillow you can see HDR stuff like crazy...every darkened corner well-lighted but nothing overexposed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Baxter you bring up a good point, smart phones have exposure control that dedicated DSLR Cameras only dream about.

Living in Namibia, I have gotten into astrophotography. I recently picked up a Canon 5D Mark IV behind several fast lenses to capture the night sky. With a little practice I got decent pictures but star streaks are a challenge. I then read about the new Pixel 4 Google phone with the advanced Night Sight Mode. It blows away $4,000 dollars worth of DLSR. The images are jaw-dropping and childishly easy to take with no star streaks whatsoever.

Now, you can pick up 48 megapixel smartphones for less than the cost of a medium quality DSLR lens. Even my Mavic 2 drone can take 48 megapixel photographs by stitching 9 photographs together. Wonder when the all these technologies will cross.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote