THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM PRACTICAL PHOTOGRAPHY FORUM

Moderators: Pete E, Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bored at home? Just go the the backyard:)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Iris:

Columbine:

Columbine:

Alaska wild rose:

A spider ambushes a fly in a crab apple flower

Posts: 492 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 20 November 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I took a few flower pictures over the last couple of months; I'm not that good at it and therefore not sufficiently motivated. I think what I need to do is put my 105mm Micro-Nikkor on my D700 and leave it next to the patio door, since I hardly ever use that combo anyway. That way when the light is right and the flowers look good I can just grab it and go into the garden.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:
I took a few flower pictures over the last couple of months; I'm not that good at it and therefore not sufficiently motivated. I think what I need to do is put my 105mm Micro-Nikkor on my D700 and leave it next to the patio door, since I hardly ever use that combo anyway. That way when the light is right and the flowers look good I can just grab it and go into the garden.

That makes a lot of sense. I realized that best light for taking photos of flowers is on overcast days, or when the flower is in the shade. long ago I used a Nikon F3 camera to take photos, but was never good with close-ups of flowers and other small subjects. Then when Canon introduced digital cameras, I switch to this company. I am using a relatively old camera for wildlife and photos like the one above, a Canon 7D with a 100mm macro lens.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:

That makes a lot of sense. I keep a relatively old Canon camera with a 100mm macro lens by the back door, in case I need it. Sometimes some of the local wildlife such as moose, foxes, etc., walk through the yard.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some more wild flowers and other:

Flowering plum (not a wild flower):

Low bush cranberry fruit:

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Not exactly what I intended, all I had with me was the 28mm prime and the sun did not come out. But I took some flowers anyway.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
All of these pictures are simply outstanding, gentlemen! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wink,

Your flowers look great. By the way, overcast days are the best for taking photos of flowers. The same if the flower is in the shade.

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Not my garden however. Spent the weekend at a cousin's house in Brittany. He has a green thumb. Since I thought I would only take a few landscape pictures I only had the 28mm lens and I am happy that they turned out OK. I needed more depth of field and a tripod to help.

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
One of the first flower pictures I ever took was in my backyard, with my old Nikon D700 and a 16-35mm zoom. Circa 2012.

Probably the next time I took some flower pictures was at the botanical garden in Phoenix. I took a bunch, since cacti in France are not the same. Circa 2016.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That pink color flower is nothing but amazingly beautiful!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Love your additional pics Ray! tu2

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Very nice pics. In the early 90s + did a series with my Nikon on some poppies that I had planted here + did a daily progression of growth, petal openings, etc. It was fun photography + kept me out of trouble.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Love your additional pics Ray! tu2

Thank you.

This one is of some of the higbush cranberry in my backyard, and the second one is of a crab apple. My wife has two crab apple trees at one side of the yard. These little apples are very sour and small in size. But the highbush cranberry is second to none when it comes to being sour Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Simply more outstanding pics, Ray! That last pic holds your concentration for quite some time with the color, water droplets and moisture on the apple! We have a daughter that lives in Eagle River. What part of Alaska are your from?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Simply more outstanding pics, Ray! That last pic holds your concentration for quite some time with the color, water droplets and moisture on the apple! We have a daughter that lives in Eagle River. What part of Alaska are your from?

I live in the outskirts of Fairbanks. Eagle river is closer to Anchorage, around 345 miles or so from Fairbanks. It takes around 5 hours of driving.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2