New
Find
Notify
Tools

Photographing a total solar eclipse
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone have any good tips for me? I am getting my cameras and equipment ready so I can have it tested well beforehand. I think I have the right solar eclipse mylar for one camera and the right combination of ND filters for the other. I know ND1000 is not enough.

Has anyone taken pics of an eclipse?

I am lucky enough to have a hunting ground right at the center of the total eclipse. I can set up in the middle of the unobstructed meadow.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Good luck!

News stations and out-of-towners are camping on Casper Mtn in Wyoming for over the past month to get film/photos of this event. Population is supposed to double that day. Wish I could be there to see what they are expecting

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I've never been near a total eclipse, but wish I could. But if totality only lasts 2 and a half minutes, I don't think I would try more than one camera for it. I'm sure I'd get bad pictures from two cameras, rather than maybe some good ones from one. And, if I read the web site about this correctly, you don't need any filters during totality if you're in the moon's umbra (and should take them off to get the best pictures) but YOU DEFINITELY NEED FILTERS BEFORE AND AFTER OR ANYWHERE OUTSIDE THE MOON'S UMBRA.

https://eclipse.aas.org/imaging-video/images-videos

It seems that going all manual for apertures and shutter speeds and focusing is the way to go; use a 500mm to 1000mm lens. You can always rent a 500mm if you or a friend don't have one. I think a tripod is a must.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I have the tripods and should have the rest of the filters this week. I already have a 500mm lens , with doubler if needed, for one. I will have help with two cameras and plan to do a lot of testing. I am thinking I picture at least every 5 minutes, but that may be optimistic. I have a chart of supposedly good settings to try. We will see. Thanks for the advice! I really appreciate it.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
How did it go?

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66913 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
How did it go?

I'm pretty sure it's supposed to happen, in the USA anyway, on August 21st.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Sorry I thought it had already happened.

Posts: 66913 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

It has, many times. Last one over SE US was May 28, 1900. Did you miss it? Smiler

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
quote:

It has, many times. Last one over SE US was May 28, 1900. Did you miss it? Smiler

Sadly, I did.

I had a trap shoot that day at Shreveport Gun Club in Louisiana rotflmo

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Sadly, I did.

Seems almost that long ago, doesn't it, my friend?
GOOD TIMES, GOOD FRIENDS.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Sadly, I did.

We always had great fun coming to shoot at Shreveport Gun Club.

Despite it being almost 40 years ago, I still remember certain things very clearly!

That old gentleman who used to write the scores on the board, the one who always had a half smoked self rolled cigarette in his mouth?

And the time I complained about lunch, being served burgers instead of steak?

My friend Harry, who used to come in a motor home, and enjoyed cooking, offered me a pepper steak in his motor home!

And the time I had a shoot off with the Louisiana State Champion who always had a big bottle of Gatorade in his hands!

Great time, great memories with great friends!

Just as life should.

I hope you are having just as much fun with your life and family Charlie.

Long life, good health and happiness my friend.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why do you feel the need to use a ND filter when it will be overcast or darker once the eclispe happens?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6600 | Location: Cumberland Plateau, Tennessee | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Sadly, I did.

Despite it being almost 40 years ago, I still remember certain things very clearly!

That old gentleman who used to write the scores on the board, the one who always had a half smoked self rolled cigarette in his mouth?

My friend Harry, who used to come in a motor home, and enjoyed cooking, offered me a pepper steak in his motor home!

And the time I had a shoot off with the Louisiana State Champion who always had a big bottle of Gatorade in his hands!

Just as life should.

Saeed, your post brought back some memories of fine times, I had almost forgotten.

I had to consult with my good friend, Lynda Cupples (She and her husband, William, were regulars every time the club opened. She shot an 1100 accompanied by a box of parts), to remind me of the guy on the scoreboards name. I remembered Clarence but couldn't recall his last name. It was Clarence Vascocou, he passed on in 1988. I really liked Clarence, he had an amazing set of reflexes for someone his age....I used to shoot doubles with him and we'd vie to see who could break first target fastest. He was really quick. A fine man who was much better than his gruff manner would lead one to believe.

We couldn't figure out who the man with the Gatorade was.

Thanks for the memories. tu2 Smiler

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
Snowwolfe, because there will be an hour before and after where I will be taking photos of the partial from just beginning to just ending...hopefully.

Larry

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Sadly, I did.

Just as life should.

Saeed, your post brought back some memories of fine times, I had almost forgotten.

I had to consult with my good friend, Lynda Cupples (She and her husband, William, were regulars every time the club opened. She shot an 1100 accompanied by a box of parts), to remind me of the guy on the scoreboards name. I remembered Clarence but couldn't recall his last name. It was Clarence Vascocou, he passed on in 1988. I really liked Clarence, he had an amazing set of reflexes for someone his age....I used to shoot doubles with him and we'd vie to see who could break first target fastest. He was really quick. A fine man who was much better than his gruff manner would lead one to believe.

We couldn't figure out who the man with the Gatorade was.

Thanks for the memories. tu2 Smiler

I will remind you of the man with the Gatorade!

He was very rude to me once.

We were having a shoot off, and it was a very hot afternoon with all of us sweating!

I mentioned that because he was bigger than me physically, he might win the shoot off by default, as I would disappear while is still around!

His answer was "Saeed, you might disappear, but your big mouth will still be here" rotflmo

Please give my best to both Lynda and WILLIAM.

I do remember them very well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seeing we are smack right in the middle of the path of the thing might as well try to snap a few myself.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6600 | Location: Cumberland Plateau, Tennessee | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
His answer was "Saeed, you might disappear, but your big mouth will still be here"

I recall it as "your smile will still be here."

And, I hate Gatorade, never drink the stuff.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larrys:
Thanks. I have the tripods and should have the rest of the filters this week. I already have a 500mm lens , with doubler if needed, for one. I will have help with two cameras and plan to do a lot of testing. I am thinking I picture at least every 5 minutes, but that may be optimistic. I have a chart of supposedly good settings to try. We will see. Thanks for the advice! I really appreciate it.

To quote Saeed, "How did it go?"

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry. I had to work for a couple days.

Here is the story. We drove for the two hours to the site. It did not look hopeful. It was raining HARD on us for a good while as we waited. Luckily we got there a couple hours ahead of time. I had almost lost all hope of seeing the eclipse, let alone getting any pictures of it.

I had practiced with the full sun for a few days before. Those pictures taught me a lot about the process.

About 10 minutes before the eclipse, the sky started to open and we had only whispy clouds. I got out the camera and set it where I could have the best view. The clouds were just enough to blur the first shots, but I did get this one.

Then the sky started to clear a little more. To say I was lucky is an understatement. I started to get a few pictures like these.

Then for the totality, the sky miraculously completely cleared for three minutes. I got this.

Then the real miracle happened. I was fortunate enough to get a shot of Bailey's Beads at the right moment. It was pure luck.

Immediately after that, the sky started turning cloudy again. I did manage to get a few of the other side of the eclipse as well.

Not three minutes later, it started to rain again. All in all, it was a good day. All in all, I think I got 94 shots in 15 minutes.

Thanks for looking. I have not had time to do any post-processing.

I was using my Pentax K-3 with the Pentax HD DA 55-300mm ED WR lens, with solar photo lens film from B and H, and my tripod that weighs almost as much as my truck. Smiler My 500mm lens was not up to the task. It was an older lens for my film camera, but I just could not get it to focus properly. That is why one tests.

Larry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those pics turned out great!!! I missed all the festivities as I was flying back from overseas. My folks live in Boonville and they didn't get the clouds the KC area did. I guess because of that I-70 turned into a parking lot with people trying to drive to a non-cloudy area.

Posts: 222 | Location: Peculiar, MO | Registered: 19 July 2013Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely Saeed! That is why I made sure all of my filter sheets were top quality from a good manufacturer. At worst, a lot of people burned double images and "ghosts" into the sensor.

I'm starting to work on 2024 since my in-laws live in Austin.

Larry