Find
Notify
Tools

Best APS-C zoom lens?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted
Like most people, I can't afford to buy every lens out there to find out if it works for me. So, I rely heavily on reviews done by professional photographers, who hopefully aren't on the manufacturer's payroll.

It turns out there may be a "sharpest and fastest" zoom lens ever made for those with an APS-C size sensor (the vast majority of DSLRs), the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 zoom lens. This is good because there are models to fit on either Canon or Nikon bodies.

https://photographylife.com/re...35mm-f1-8#more-66904

I checked the DxOMark site to see what their lab tests indicate, and yes, it is the fastest and sharpest zoom out there. There is one downside, sometimes the autofocus just doesn't get it right. Be that as it may, I know what to ask Santa to bring.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wink,
I just noticed this post on the Sigma 18-35 lens. I noted the date was in Nov 2015, and you were putting the lens on Santa's list. Did he deliver?

TT

Posts: 455 | Location: Sierra Vista, AZ | Registered: 06 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I should probably thin out a lot of my stuff before buying anything new.

I'm really longing for the Nikkor 105mm f/1.4, which costs too much for most mortals. It is an exceptional lens however.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wink,

Perhaps Santa will come up with the 105mm 1.4 for Christmas. I looked at it on the Nikon website, and when I could breathe again after seeing the cost, figured out that it would take ten years for my photo budget to pay for it. It sure looks to be a wonderful lens. I'll stick to looking for the Sigma. It seems to be selling for around $799.00 at Adorama and B&H, to a low of around $650.00 elsewhere for a new lens. The reviews that I've read give it really good marks, save the focus issue that you mentioned. Anyway, I'm still thinking. Lots of luck on the 105mm and I'll put in a good word with Santa for you.

Posts: 455 | Location: Sierra Vista, AZ | Registered: 06 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Fred Miranda, who you may have heard of, asked photographers who follow his blog to comment on their first impressions of the 105mm f/1.4. He closed it at page 78 of the thread, but there are some interesting points of view. Pages 42 to 62 seem to have some good examples of what this lens is good for.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1443427/41