Find
Notify
Tools

Need upgrade advice
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
My two current cameras are a Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS25 with 20X optical zoom Leica lens, and my Moto Z-2 Android cell phone. I also have an old Canon Rebel SLR loaded with Plus-X stashed away just for the hell of it, but it won't see much use for obvious reasons.
The Lumix gives me great images in a lot of situations, but because it only has the LCD viewfinder, I often can't see what I am pointing at in bright light conditions.
Is there a pocket camera out there that will give me high image quality but with an honest-to God viewfinder I can look through to compose?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16368 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I've handled the Sony DSC-RX100M III and thought it very good. Don't own one though, I've already got too many cameras.

Find a store that's got one and give it a test drive.

They aren't cheap, even a used one will go around $600 if you want it from a reputable dealer and a guarantee. KEH is an example:

https://www.keh.com/shop/sony-...ra-black-674458.html

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The newer Panasonic ZS series cameras have an EVF veiwfinder that will do what you want. I have the ZS100 and it is a very good travel/general use camera. It is the only larger sensor point and shoot that has a decently long zoom and is pocketable. Though it is a bit spendy.

The ZS50 and ZS70 have veiwfinders and are otherwise very similar to your ZS25.

The last three Sony RX100 models have veiwfinders as well, but lack a long zoom. Their tradeoff is best in class image quality with a larger sensor. They are all spendy.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Thanks fellas. Looking at reviews of those cameras.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16368 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm a lot slower than technology ! I heard some comments about older cameras and newer computers .I have a nice but old Sony DSC H-1 and a Windows 7 [getting very old ] Is there a compatabiity problem with such a pairing with software ? ! I'm having some problems now .I don't take nearly as many photos as in my earlier days .Do we have to get new computers and cameras just to keep up ?

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Depends. Some older software that was abandoned by its manufacturer (like Nikons Capture NX2) will not work with newer operating systems on computers, so if you update your operating system it might not work. Also, the same software only works with RAW (NEF) files on cameras made before Nikon walked away from supporting the software. Short version, if you have an older Nikon camera and an older operating system on your computer it will work just fine. Update your camera or your operating system and it won't. With each new iteration of cameras the software has to catch up, in the case of RAW files, no problems with JPG files though. Do you shoot RAW files? If the answer is no, then it doesn't matter what computer operating system you have, what software you have or what camera you have. But if you do shoot RAW files it makes all the difference in the world.

I should have added that a lot of the software manufacturers are pushing their customers to go to a subscription approach (thereby milking you on a long term basis) rather than just updating their software on an existing licence. Whether the update on a non-subscription software is free or paid, at some point they make you buy a new version and no longer support/update the previous version.

Lightroom and Photoshop have pretty much gone to the subscription approach, also pushing their CC (Creative Cloud) storage. There is a version for the social media heavy user and the more traditional (called Classic CC) for the home computer based user. They get away with this because they update their software for new cameras and operating systems faster than most of the others, and it is included in your monthly subscription price.

I still frequently use my Nikon Capture NX2 sotware, which lives in an iMac for which I do not update the OS. I can still work on RAW files from my D300s, my D700, my D90 and my D7000 with no problem. I cannot use it for RAW conversions however with my D810 camera, which hit the market after Nikon abandoned the software.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote