Find
Notify
Tools

Canon 70D vs 7D Mkii
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted
I am looking for information about the two cameras.

I currently have the 70D and use it for wildlife and birding photos but I might be looking at an upgrade and the 5D is just too expensive...

Would the 7D MKii be that much of a difference over the 70D when it comes to wildlife and birding photos when paired with the Sigma 150-600 Sport lens?

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't comment on the 70D, I handled one at the store but have never taken a photo with one.

I used a 7D with Canon 400/5.6L as my main birding camera for several years and liked it a lot. This summer I sold the 7D and got the Mk II.

I think the 7DMkII is about the best birding camera there is, especially for bird-in-flight photos, without going to the very expensive models like the 1DX and the top-line Nikons.

Compared to the 7D it focuses faster and tracks moving objects more accurately, plus 10 frames/second captures more images and increases odds of getting something really neat. I like the dual card slots, and the quiet shutter.

You mentioned the 5D, I also have a 5DMkIII, it is a wonderful full-frame camera, but I prefer the 7DMkII for bird and wildlife photography. I like the crop factor (400mm on 7D is equivalent to 640mm) and faster frames/second rate.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Dave,

Its good to get real world feedback compare to just reading reviews.

I will be guiding on photo safaris in about a year from now and the Mk ii looks like a good option with the 70D as a 2nd camera...

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't add anything really helpful but . . .

We were in the same place looking at the 5D and the 70D.

We bought my wife a new 70D. I think its best quality besides great pictures was the ease of use. She wanted something new for her horse pictures of our daughters riding and for safari in 2015.

One thing that might make a difference is lenses that you might already have.

We got the standard Canon zoom for hers, and a really coolCanon 1.8 ( I think) lens that will shoot in almost dark for I think they are $100. Wow. Yes it is plastic but you wont know it from the pics. If it broke today we would replace it.

We also got Canons big zoom lens for it and of course that paid off in Africa. Of course it costs as much as Swarovski range finding binoculars too.

For what it is worth we bumped in to a Canon factory rep and he just flat said the 5D is our best camera ( then) but if you don't get it then the 70D is our next best camera (then). He also added that if you were were going to use it for video then he believed the 70D was actually their "best" camera for that.

With the difference in costs and her not being a pro level photographer the 70D was an easy and right choice for her.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Traded up from a T2i

I'm definitely enjoying the 7dmk2

JAPPFT,

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great photos

Thanks for sharing!

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own both - I'd get the 7dmkii.

Posts: 504 | Location: California | Registered: 04 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10generation:
I own both - I'd get the 7dmkii.

The 7DII is designed for sports and birding in mind. The 7D is good, but the 7DII is quite superior in regards to the amount photos it takes per burst, in focusing, and tracking. I have a 7D and do quite well with, plus a 5DII. The later I use primarily for taking photos of the Northern Lights, and the 7D for sports such as sled dog racing and skijoring, plus birds and such.

This kind of stuff:

Posts: 492 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 20 November 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another one from one of the local sled dog races:

I can only imagine a pack of wolves, or maybe a grizzly bear running toward me like that. Just kidding, of course Smiler

Posts: 492 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 20 November 2013Reply With Quote