Zeke

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow.

Posts: 19313 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agreed - "Oh My' and "Wow" indeed !
If I was in a serious pickle I would hope this guy would be the one to turn up and save the day. Pretty smart, ballsy and damn impressive what he did there. Not many would have even been willing to give that a go. Kudos to that man.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1992 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
I released a full grown otter from a Victor #2 once and thought I was pretty badass for that.........

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeBurke:
I released a full grown otter from a Victor #2 once and thought I was pretty badass for that.........

I like it much better when one caught something with fur on it.

One killed it it and skinned it and sold it.

It has become a very PITA with all the fur bearers one has to release.

Posts: 19313 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
We trapped nutria. Raccoons, mink, and otters were not targeted but we caught them. The last time I trapped full time was around 30 years ago. Fur prices were terrible and I quit midseason. Picking up traps I had an otter and after selling one for around $15 early in the season I decided to release that one.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
He knew what he was doing, for sure! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:

Trapping wolves, while bears were still out and about ? Confused A certain lack of logic about that.

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1577 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Adams1:
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:

Trapping wolves, while bears were still out and about ? Confused A certain lack of logic about that.

I was thinking the same thing. Roll Eyes

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2786 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
When I was young my dad told me not to bring in another skunk. So the next one I caught I released from a 1 1/2 coil spring trap without even getting sprayed. Didn't work on the next one though. I guess I thought I was good and didn't give it enough time to get used to me.

Not sure I would attempt a bear half that size.
Did like his technique though.
God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Talk about being calm under pressure.

Posts: 741 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
When I lived in Tasmania I released a Tassie Devil from a leg hold trap he was caught in, I used a steel rake to pin it, then ran like a Mother in the opposite direction after opening the jaws lol !

Posts: 459 | Location: New Zealand - Australia - South Africa | Registered: 14 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sarg:
When I lived in Tasmania I released a Tassie Devil from a leg hold trap he was caught in, I used a steel rake to pin it, then ran like a Mother in the opposite direction after opening the jaws lol !

Cranky little buggers!

That was amazing releasing the trapped bear Eeker

DRSS

Posts: 1892 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At the ATA's wolf trapping school I met a quy who has released live bull moose from his snares. He calls the procedure a moose rodeo, and there's a trick to it too.

Shake out a lasso with a loop on the ground near the moose's front legs, and when he sets both feet inside the loop, give a hard jerk, then quickly tie the rope off to a tree. Then repeat on the hind legs. Tightening the ropes alternatively antil the moose drops to one side. Then carefully cut the snare away from the animal, release the ropes, and run for the hills.

Posts: 6058 | Location: Coeur d' Alene, Idaho, USA | Registered: 08 March 2013Reply With Quote