Find
Notify
Tools

DP traps
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted
with the foot hold the critters are alive when you check the traps.
What is you preferred method for the critter to expire?
Thanks Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
22 short behind the ear

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 for the 22 short, I have used the CCI22 quiet ammo also.

Tom Kessel
Hiland Outfitters, LLC (BG-082)
Hiland, Wyoming
www.hilandoutfitters.com

Posts: 402 | Location: Central Wyoming | Registered: 14 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With DP traps I assume you are talking about coon, I use CB caps centered above the eyes, a side hit in the head with shorts is going to give an exit. Animal will be looking up at you so a straight on shot is easy and the bullet will go down into the neck rather than exit. I use a revolver and load it half with short hollowpoints for coyote and bobcat and half with CB's for fox and coon. A head hit anywhere will give a lot of blood so I pick them up by the back leg immediately after the shot so they don't roll in the blood.

Posts: 178 | Location: NE Pennsylvania | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
thanks, tundra

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A quick snap with a hammer handle works OK as well...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used this method since the late 60's back then I trapped where the discharge of a firearm was not premitted.

A hockey stick with the hooked end cut off, a hard whack across the bridge of the nose. When the animal goes down drop the stick across the neck stepping on it with the other foot stepping on rib cadge causing suffocation.

I have used this method on possum, coon, fox and coyotes, never on a bobcat.

Posts: 423 | Location: Lk. St.Clair | Registered: 11 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was taught to use a baseball bat. Whack them on the bridge of the nose, or between the eyes. Put the bat across the back of their neck and pull up on the back legs slipping the neck vertebrae.

This was for fox, badger and racoon where we didn't want a hole in the head portion of the pelt.

Coyotes I just shot between the eyes with a .22.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
You are allowed 3, .22 sized holes in a coon pelt with no dock by the fur grader. In the end its personal preference on the dispatch. If running a lot of traps use the pistol, saves time and hassle, under bridges and culverts a big bore has nothing on a .22 report, WOW! Be aware. I bring ear muffs just for that. A smack on the head is not as final and if you get carried away it makes skinning a bastard. Either way works

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What Coyotetrapper said. Tap to the nose and stand on the rib cage for a few minutes. No hole and not much blood.

Relive your memories take a kid hunting and fishing

Posts: 152 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 28 April 2013Reply With Quote