New
Find
Notify
Tools

WSJ Story: Real vs Fake Fur
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
WSJ had a story yesterday on real vs fake fur; I wrote the following letter to the editor and also posted the same under comments.

Unless you are a subscriber, you can't view the story on line. And since it is copyrighted material, I am not going to cut and paste. But here is my response:

Am I the only reader who doesn’t understand how eating the meat of an animal is morally acceptable but wearing fur is not (Real Fur vs Fake Fur, Dec 10)? Human’s don’t have to do either, but somehow we justify that since meat sustains us, it is okay to kill an animal for food as long as they are treated “humanely.” Let’s face it: we don’t eat meat for sustainment, we eat it because we enjoy it, so what is the problem if someone enjoys wearing fur?

I am never astounded at the hypocrisy of those who decry wearing fur but think nothing of eating meat. And on the subject of hypocrisy, am I to believe Michael Kors, Gucci, and Versace are also agreeing not use leather (yikes, that is an animal skin too!)? Finally, Julie Gilhart advises us to “do what’s right: stay away from fur.” In between bites of her hamburger she might want to ask the mink in the pen if it would rather live in captivity or just never have been…

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I am pretty sure all that faux fur and leather is made with fossil fuel. Bad for the environment! Fur and leather, like meat is 100% natural and a great renewable resource.

~Ann

Posts: 19132 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote