New
Find
Notify
Tools

Snaring
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
looking for a good video on how to snare for coyotes and fox and what type or brand of snares do you use and why ?

Posts: 1194 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
Look at or join trapperman.com, ther will be all sorts of info and where to buy video. Tom Miranda has a great line of how-to's. Also The Snare Shop will get you headed in the right direction.

Good luck,, Jim

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I get all my snare supplies from The Snare Shop very good people to deal with.

You can buy pre made ones from them, I make my own can't buy what I like and required by Michigan law.

I learned how to snare on my own, but had 30+ years of trapping experience before starting to snare. First time I set out snares put out 6 and caught 1 coyote first night.

Posts: 424 | Location: Lk. St.Clair | Registered: 11 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will check the snare shop out. Thanks !

Posts: 1194 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
All the trapping supply houses have them, you might also check you tube. Some great snaring information on there.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by waterrat:
Look at or join trapperman.com, ther will be all sorts of info and where to buy video. Tom Miranda has a great line of how-to's. Also The Snare Shop will get you headed in the right direction.

Good luck,, Jim
x2

Full time professional trapper

Posts: 313 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 13 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 on snare shop!

I like snares. I am trying to thin out the coyote some on my little ranch. I am only out there on weekends, but with snares, I can leave them out, but pulled closed and laid on the ground when I am gone, and then quickly and easily set them up when I am out there. I can take a quick walk and put up ten or twelve snares in less than hour, and take them down just as fast when the weeked is over.

Definitely interesting trying to find the best places for them, too. Caught a handful of coyotes so far, and got a couple of hogs (I assume) that got into snares and broke them!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
although not as extensive as a purchased video, there are a good number of snaring videos on
U-Tube that will definitely get you started. And best of all, they are free.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not that hard, use one of those small cable snares, find where the coyotes and bobcats have dug a hole under the fence and set the snare there...some folks smoke the snare, I never bothered and caught as many as the next guy..Be prepared to snag some skunks, Badgers, hogs, and other game, depending on your location, unfortunately deer and antelope in some places, so pick your places carefully..I got a lot of Javalina on my place back when I was ranching, and two Lions..Sheep wire fence is the best place to use snares.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote