New
Find
Notify
Tools

Having feral cat problems again
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Could some of you guys tell me what trap I should use to catch these damned cats with?
I have: 110, 220, & 330 traps. Would rather they were killed than have to shoot them as I'm right in town and the noise might draw the wrong attention.

I've been cat free for about five years, now there's several more. All feral, and nasty looking wild critters. One has recently started spending nights on a front porch chair, the other gets in the shop thru a hole in a big window where some vandal threw a rock at it. That one got in my boat cabin inside the shop and made a heck of a mess. It knows it shouldn't be in there at all and takes off when I open the door. Believe I can catch either one but, which trap should I use?

Thank you,
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
220 inside a bucket with cat food in the back. Make sure there are no dogs around!

Full time professional trapper

Posts: 313 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 13 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also think CO is a cage only state so don't get caught.

Full time professional trapper

Posts: 313 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 13 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
use a live trap and see how they swim in them.

Posts: 370 | Location: northcentral mt | Registered: 25 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
220 out of what you have.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
George, I am a cat lover, but in cases like yours, Live Traps and deep water or live traps and take them out in the country and a .22 short between the eyes.

For a Non Lethal approach, try spraying Ammonia around places where yo don't want the cats.

A healthy resident population of coyotes or Great Horned owls also works.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
The ultimate repeatable trap for cats is a 55 gallon drum full of water with a float bait and something covering the water.

It worked very well.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the ideas that's what I was looking for. Intend to be rid of it.
There's neighbors a couple blocks away that have a big nest of them under a blocked up portable garage. They migrate. This one looks like those, inbred looking mess and wild as can be. I look out the big window and it takes off.
Wish it would stand in the yard I'd just shoot it and be done.

Ten years ago a gal across the alley had about 30 when she got married and moved just poured a big sack of food and bucket of water and left 'em, hasn't been back. Had hell for a few years as many of them hatched a bunch of kittens. Two sets in my boat before I discovered them and another batch under a slab in a hole.

Randall, I like cats too but, this is not one of those kind of pets.

This is the first in 3-4 years I know of that's adopted my place. Big mistake.

Thanks again,
George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Believe me George, as much as I like cats, I see one out in one of the pastures and it is a half mile or more away from someone's house, it is shot.

One trick that some people/institutions have used with success is to catch a couple of the feral cats, have them spayed/neutered and then turn them back out.

They set up their territories, and run any other cats off.

All of our cats are House Cats, and the only time any of them are out of the house are the ones that ride in the pick up with me during my daily rounds or the one that travels with us.

A good population of Great Horned owls can do a lot in controlling cats numbers.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Randall:
That's the current nonsense going on around town here the last few years. Article awhile back: "5,000 spade/neutered in the past five years and turned back loose again" SHIT TOO!!!
They still kill the birds and squirrels.
They may in the end cut down on the population due to less kittens but, it sure don't cut down on the current population of these inbred messes like this one is.
Spent much of the night considering where to place the bucket!

Noise out back an hour ago, dog raised hell and was out looking around much of that time. Cats out run her though. Legs too short!!

IF you have any interest pm me, I have two K-6's I'll never use. Stay safe n well!
George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since it is illegal anywhere I can think of to release cats to the wild, wouldn't it be just as illegal to capture them and re-release them? Once you've captured it and operated on it you've pretty much taken ownership of the thing. They even provided all the evidence against themselves.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like I said, it is a program some people have tried, I make no guarantees on its effectiveness.

I do guarantee, that our society as a whole has became so out of touch with reality that things can probably never be straightened out.

All of our cats are House Cats, AKA INDOOR CATS.

Regardless of ANYONE's beliefs, God/Nature/Evolution, did NOT intend for North America to have a small feline predator, other than the Bobcat/Lynx in the system.

I agree that feral house cats should be removed from the environment.

I believe the best way this is accomplished with the 3S method, Shoot/Shovel/Shut Up!!!!!!!

I really hate to say this, but in many ways things are only going to get worse with the big movement to "No Kill" shelters.

Only so many animals, Cats or Dogs can be maintained.

Do what you have to do or feel that you need to do, but just remember not everyone is going to agree with or support your decision.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
They still kill the birds and squirrels

Get a speedy dog or two. Mine take out anything including big Coyote with little effort. Keeps the solar panel sales idiots off the property too.

Posts: 4828 | Location: IN YOUR POOL | Registered: 10 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
Like I said, it is a program some people have tried, I make no guarantees on its effectiveness.

I do guarantee, that our society as a whole has became so out of touch with reality that things can probably never be straightened out.

All of our cats are House Cats, AKA INDOOR CATS.

Regardless of ANYONE's beliefs, God/Nature/Evolution, did NOT intend for North America to have a small feline predator, other than the Bobcat/Lynx in the system.

I agree that feral house cats should be removed from the environment.

I believe the best way this is accomplished with the 3S method, Shoot/Shovel/Shut Up!!!!!!!

I really hate to say this, but in many ways things are only going to get worse with the big movement to "No Kill" shelters.

Only so many animals, Cats or Dogs can be maintained.

Do what you have to do or feel that you need to do, but just remember not everyone is going to agree with or support your decision.

Ocelot, margay, jaguarundi

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ocelot, margay, jaguarundi

Ocelot and jaguarundi, can be found in deep south Texas, but have never been very numerous, their main ranges are Mexico/Central and South America.

Margays are a questionable addition to that list, because the only "Reported" record of a Margay in Texas was a dried skin that was fouind hanging on a wall somewhere in Eagle Pass Texas in the mid to late 1800's. That is the only record of them being that far up into North America.

Point is, the Bobcat and Lynx are the ONLY two species of small cat that has been a part of the mammalian landscape in North Amreica since before Europeans came here.

The ocelot and jaguarundi were never abundant enough to cause the problems feral house cats do, and like feral hogs and feral horses/mustangs, they have found a niche in North America that does not already contain an actual competitor that they have to compete with.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mexico is North America too.

I hate feral cats, or free range pets. Feral donkeys and horses are only useful as targets.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Hav-a-hart trap baited with wet cat food or sardines, then placed where a dog can't get to it. Cats are easy to live trap. Once trapped a pellet pistol/ rifle shot to the head solves the problem. I have done this many times with great success.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13105 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mexico is North America too.

Technically/physically Yes, Mexico is part of North America, but just like Canada, Mexico has animals/birds/reptiles/fish that are basically limited to it.

However, North America as a WHOLE did not have a small did not have a small feline predator, Continent Wide. Ocelots are bobcat sized, Margay are not all that plentiful in Mexico, it is the north fringe of their range, jaguarundi are in the same boat.

Other than the Lynx and bobcat, there were no small, house cat sized feline predators over the majority of the North american continent prior to European settlement.

South America/Africa Europe/Asia and Southeast Asia, all have/had house cat sized felines, which over time in different locations in those continents were the ancestors of our modern house cats, which when turned loose into the habitat are such are such skill full/successful predators that have no actual competition.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks Jerry.
They're easy to shoot too IF you can catch them in the right position. .17M2 is sitting handy now.
Set the 220 out today and forgot to bring it in to get it set in a bucket. Been wanting to fix some tuna sandwich's and plan to leave a bit with some of the juice for attractant.

Lil short legged dog chased it today, gave it all she had but just isn't quick enough. She enjoyed it though.

Thanks,
George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Air rifle is pretty good. There are advantages in something dieing somewhere else.out of sight, out of mind. Self hiding evidence.

One of Us
Picture of mmassey338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dogleg:
Air rifle is pretty good. There are advantages in something dieing somewhere else.out of sight, out of mind. Self hiding evidence.

But the disadvantages far outweigh this advantages. Imagine someone finds a dying cat in their yard and videos it. Calls cops and media. Feral cat becomes someone's pet Cecilia.
.22 subsonic ammo and a shovel.

Posts: 400 | Location: Here | Registered: 13 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had this problem when living in town before, now in country I just shoot them, but my dogs usually eat them first. In town, i would open a can of sardiens and lace it with antifreeze. They are drawn to sardiens and the antifreeze shuts kidneys down and they die some place else. Not a quick death though, renal failure. Not so compassionate but extremely effective

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
i would open a can of sardiens and lace it with antifreeze.

It is one of those things best never talked about.

Posts: 19317 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shot some in Australia with a .458. It worked but there are better choices.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just bag 'em up and toss in the trash. Never noticed. Only time one was, the guy just looked at me and went on about running the impactor and drove off. Never heard any more about it.

.17M2 don't make near the noise a .22 does. And does a hell of a lot better killing too. Shots will be under 40 feet.

220 has double springs, I need to figure out how to set it now. Never a trapper and never messed with these before.

Suggestions? I can't drop to my knee's on the frame. Crippled in the leg.

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They do make a setting tool. Kinda like giant set of pliers. I used to use them om my 330's

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
They do make a setting tool

need one for the 220s also

Posts: 19317 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Either a setter or a rope with a loop tied in one end. Run the rope through the spring eyes; then back down and through again. Put your foot through the loop and pull on the other end, wrapping the rope up in your hand if necessary. Oh sure you can use both hands, but the cool guys use one. It's a useful skill when your other hand is caught. That's a little more relevant on the tight closing magnum and various Canadian jaw types. A muskrat couldn't get his tail out one of those.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike:

Since I had both shoulders replaced, one in Jan, I haven't gotten my grip nor arm strength built up enough that's why I haven't gotten it done yet.
I'll try the rope and see.
Thanks,
George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A rope or a setter will get you through. If your conibear closes tightly, give some prior thought to how you will get out one handed if you do get pinched. When you're wesring one its s lousy time to invent something.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mmassey338:
quote:
Originally posted by Dogleg:

But the disadvantages far outweigh this advantages. Imagine someone finds a dying cat in their yard and videos it. Calls cops and media. Feral cat becomes someone's pet Cecilia.
.22 subsonic ammo and a shovel.

All of my PCP .22 air rifles are silencer equipped, shoot 1/2" groups out to 50 yards, and deadly with head shots. When I got a decent shot, the trap wasn't necessary

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13105 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use 220s and you really have to have a setting tool. The tool is cheap, $10 or so but worth every cent.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2628 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I killed a mountain of feral cats in Spain from my balcony. I lived in a resort community that was only really inhabited during the summer time and Christmas.

I bought a e-caller played a songbird call, and waited patiently. When they came into view, I'd lift the rifle up and whack them. Then go for a walk with a hardwood hiking stick (in case their brains needed bashing in), leave the rifle on the balcony and toss them into the ocean.

I made the mistake of using a 25 caliber spring rifle. I'd buy a 22 cal PCP if I was doing it again.

I'd leave the call running while making dinner, and step out to take a look. Not too loud, not to obvious, and I like to think I probably saved a couple thousand song birds a year. I was discreet, and it worked very well.

A repeatable water trap is also good, I used one in Italy and it worked like a champion. 55 gallon drum, with a walk way built up to it, grass floating in the top and a can of tuna floating in the center. The grass on top dries out, sylvester takes a step and winds up swimming. He has no way to get out and is usually stone dead within a couple minutes. I would often catch 2 or 3 a day that way.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Havahart cage traps are the go . I have had my fingers caught in a conibear and I can vouch for their effectiveness....
Cage and water trough works for me .

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4454 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
22CB Long, good for lots of things.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
Hav-a-hart trap baited with wet cat food or sardines, then placed where a dog can't get to it. Cats are easy to live trap. Once trapped a pellet pistol/ rifle shot to the head solves the problem. I have done this many times with great success.

That is my method too.

Posts: 10097 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Live trap, then place trap with nuisance animal inside a plastic trash bag, start car/truck, put tail pipe into open end of trash bag, after a few minutes open the trap & remove it from the bag leaving the animal behind, knot & dispose in the trash.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1326 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A pellet gun in the hands of a competent marksman solves the problem, they don't come back
What else can you do dump a feral cat on someones else ? God put them there due to your marksmanship, late evening works best since the coyotes will pick em up

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2295 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brent ebeling:
I have had this problem when living in town before, now in country I just shoot them, but my dogs usually eat them first. In town, i would open a can of sardiens and lace it with antifreeze. They are drawn to sardiens and the antifreeze shuts kidneys down and they die some place else. Not a quick death though, renal failure. Not so compassionate but extremely effective

what a hateful bunch of pricks.... you'd best never let me catch you doing such inhumane shit...... i would probably be in jail for putting your sorry ass in the hospital.......................

baseball bat take the knees out first so the pos can't get away..........................

one of us
posted Hide Post
What kind of aXXhole threatens a human who deals with an unwanted pest, Instead of acting like a internet tuff guy why don't you offer to collect these unwanted animals and rescue them, I have no problem shooting pests. in
quote:
Originally posted by tasco 74:
quote:
Originally posted by brent ebeling:

what a hateful bunch of pricks.... you'd best never let me catch you doing such inhumane shit...... i would probably be in jail for putting your sorry ass in the hospital.......................

baseball bat take the knees out first so the pos can't get away..........................

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2295 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote