Tools

Big song dog?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
On one of my cameras...

~Ann

Posts: 19138 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A well furred heavy coyote for sure

Posts: 19344 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Definitely is a nice sized coyote! I saw a coyote, once while driving the loop of the Red Rock National Conservation Area west of Las Vegas, in broad daylight, that, at first, I swore had to be a very large dog. Nope. It was a huge coyote, and he wasn't worried or threatened by anything in the least bit. They can get big for sure. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not been able to get them to take interest in stepping into a #2 set-up. Any suggestions for a bait that will work?

~Ann

Posts: 19138 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If they're digging the trap or at least coming in, you can try a well disguised scent post off to one side or from an spot they might stop to study your current set. Step-down dirt set, snares on trails in and out, all sorts of options!

And if your set is right there near that camera, ditch the camera Big Grin

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1169 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That camera is my raptor cam. I put all of the coons and possums I kill there to feed them. The coyotes never eat the dead stuff but it does attract them enough to take a look. They certainly notice the cameras, even the supposed IR flash ones.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Drive a far away from you area as you can. Get off on a back road and collect some "as fresh as you can" coyote scat. Zip lock bag it. Now back home and put it just up wind off where they travel. Gently force them to step on your carefully bedded and scent free set! A friend caught many of them that way. Caution a dog will investigate also!

Posts: 694 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some of the time we'd use a big needle and
syringe to suck out some pee from the dead
one's bladders. then squirt that on a likely
scent post or rock etc.

All dogs just have to resent their own on
anything that has other's scent on.

Stinking damned stuff of course but so are
coyotes in general.

Good luck and have fun.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5939 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
I would try O'Gormans Powder river bait or Caven's Hiawatha Valley bait, they work in tandem with a good call lure. Also, coyotes are a little big for a #2 and any coyote that gets cought will get beat them to hell. Its probably better to upgrade to a larger trap like the 550's, 650's or a reinforced #4. Lastly, if the dirt hole sets are no longer pulling them in its time to try different tactics- flat sets on pinch points, big, ugly, double set dirt holes, ect.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1085 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are going to trap when it is very cold, make sure and save any skunks you catch earlier when its warmer. When it gets cold all animals are looking for fat that they need to run their body. They know that skunks have lots of fat on them, and they know the smell.

You can do one of two things. Either you can use a syringe and extract the skunk essence from the skunk after you dispatch him/her. Place in a bottle with a tight cap. Then use just a tiny bit along with some fish oil, beaver castor, and ground up meat, to make your own bait.
Or you can do a buried bait set using the whole skunk, with traps set on either side. Don't worry, I have had coyotes dig through a couple feet of snow to locate a buried skunk. If it is there they will know it.
Make sure you set your traps properly and cover them properly. they need to be bedded very solidly so they will not tip if they are stepped on without setting them off.
I highly recommend going to U-tube and watching a video on the Dirt Hole set for coyotes. There are any number of them on there. Pay special attention to how the trap is placed and covered next to the hole or the bait.
Good luck.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the info, Lindy! Weird thing is I have not seen a skunk around my place in several years. I don't know if they were killed off by the coyotes or disease took 'em out. I reckon I could always buy some skunk scent from a trapping supply.

~Ann