Find
Notify
Tools

Trapping NOOB
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted
After seeing more coyote tracks than deer, I have come the the realization that coyote hunting is not making the dent in the population that I had hoped. I have decided it is high time that I start trapping them as well. To start, I enrolled in the trapping education course which starts in a few weeks. I was wondering if anyone could recommend some trapping books and maybe a gear list to start off with. I already know I want to trap coyote and there is a few beavers that are making the logging trail into a obstacle course. Again, all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1085 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
snares are the way to go and if you have deer around use deer stops. Do a internet search most of your trapping supply outfits will have videos for sale;. Ask around in your area and find an old timer most are more than happy to show you how.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hal Sullivan's Canines 2000 is a really good book/DVD combo. As per our laws I find it really difficult to use the snares (cable restraints is what our DNR calls them) I would love to use more snares and I have with limited success. Get top quality foot traps size 3 or equivalent, I like the MB650. You'll find that coyotes as sly as they are, do not possess super hero powers and can be caught even by a slack jaw like me.

Good luck!

**************************The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.

Posts: 282 | Location: South West Wisconsin | Registered: 27 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
wistrapper,

Just ordered the book from amazon. As far as traps go, how many does one need to start out with?

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1085 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe the National Trappers Association is holding their annual convention in Escanaba, Michigan this year, sometime in the middle of August.

At that convention there will be tables and tables of goods to ponder, such as traps, lures, snares, sifters, and various and other sundries and goods.

Also, they will have quite a number of what they call DEMOs (demonstrations) on the trapping and care of many animals, including, I am sure, Coyote.

Wherever you live in Wisconsin, it would be less than a days drive to that convention. I highly suggest that you attend.

http://www.nationaltrappers.com/convention.html

(on a recent drive through Wisconsin I saw so many dead deer on the highways that I could not believe it. Are you sure its the Coyotes that are lessening your deer herd, and not the motorists?)

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the delay, I've been out of town. As far as the number of traps go it depends on how much land you have acess to and population of the coyotes. I suspect you have MANY coyotes. On good sign and habitat the sky is the limit as far as number of traps. Where I am we have plenty of the critters but I am usually only able to effectively run a couple dozen spread out over 600 acres. 100 percent of my traps (canine or otherwise) are within very close proximity of four wheeler access. I do not have the time to be walking far to each trap, but that is just my situation. I'm dead sure I could set double that many traps if I wasnt so constrained by time. One thing is for sure, If you find a good spot for one trap it is worth having Two. Set them within 5 to 50 yards from each other with different baits/lures. 90% of my sets consist of a dirt hole set. The other 10% are flat sets and post sets. Coyotes can pump a stake better than anything I'ver ever run across so be sure if you are using rebar to cross stake. I have very good success with Berkshire cable stakes. I've never used a drag but see a lot of merit in doing so.

Once the snows start to move in it is difficult to maintain a working set so try to get as many as you can before the snow comes. After the snow is when the snares shine or so they tell me. As mentioned before our laws make it very difficult to set snares in the most ideal locations. As mentioned the post earlier, try to get to a local trapping rendezvous. There are always demos going on that you can gain info from. Check out the Wisconsin Trappers Association for schedules.

Good luck and have fun!

**************************The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.

Posts: 282 | Location: South West Wisconsin | Registered: 27 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Come up to Hayward and I'll show you how to catch yotes.

Pm me and we well make arrangements

When I started trapping 50 some years ago I started with 2 traps.

Posts: 19355 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might consider getting a subscription to Fur-Fish-Game.It is geared towards the trapper.

Posts: 370 | Location: northcentral mt | Registered: 25 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
I would like to thank everyone for their comments. I have found them very helpful. I have now completed my trappers education (if you can call it that). In large part, it was hodgepodge of random trapping stories, trapping laws, and the worthlessness of the DNR. While the class did teach the basic laws, it left me with more questions than answers.

Wistrapper: I agree, cable restraints are a worthless investment. I cannot think of a single legal place that I could use them. I will most likely stick to the foot hold traps. I bought a 'starter pack' of k-9 traps to start with, #3 sleepy creek, KB 5.5, MB 650, and #4 Oneida victor. I really like the KB, it is TANK. I fear , based on its design, I might have issues bedding it. the MB 650 is also a winner.

P dog shooter: I sent you a PM

---Thomas Jefferson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You have a fine selection of traps for canines. Where the MB traps really shine in my opinion is there isn't a free jaw to contend with, they are both locked down which makes them easier to bed. Speaking of bedding. Bed those traps ROCK SOLID! If a coyote feels anything move underfoot it will dig it up. I hope you and P Dog Shooter are able to meet up, it will reduce your learning curve to go in the field with an experienced trapper.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Canadian:
Although I don't trap anymore and never did much of it other than for bobcats in a box trap.

I read the: Trapper & Predator Caller mag. Lot's of ad's and stories in it. There's a book/DVD by Odon Corr called: "Trapping Coyotes". $40. From the ad it sounds like the guy knows his stuff. Might be worth checking out too. Join the state trapping outfit and they'll start sending you this magazine as part of the dues. Well worth it if you're at all interested in great reading. Lot's of hunting and trapping articles in each one. Plus the clubs info for every state in the country.
Good luck,
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote