Find
Notify
Tools

Coons?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
Are coons worth anything this year? I found this big, heavy boar in one of my coyote sets. He has a stunning pelt.

~Ann

Posts: 19148 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
NAFA fur - July 2018 auction results tell the story. $25.00 for the top raccoon seems like a lot of work for the money. Until/unless the Chinese and Russian economies recover it will be a tough market for most fur. Might be best skinning taxidermy style with feet attached, tanning it yourself and selling on fleabay.

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
He looks a bit small for these parts. If you skin him out he might fetch 5.00 or so if the fur is prime. Fortunately, I have only trapped a few trash pandas this year.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1085 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn shame they are worthless anymore. I'll put it out in one of my hay fields for the hawks and eagles to feed on then.

~Ann

Posts: 19148 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Why why not skin it, put it up, tan it and enjoy it instead of looking strictly at the monetary value.

I’ve been doing this in years where the market is down and selling the lesser skins to craft stores and at mountain man rendezvous‘s. I keep the select skins until I have enough to make a coat for my wife and daughter.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1214 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Coupla reasons... I can skin but I don't have any skill at fleshing at all. My hands have a lot of arthritis now as well so that makes it even harder. I figured if the carcass was worth anything to someone it would be better than feeding the raptors. A couple of bucks in my pocket helps me keep up my trapping supplies...

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I doubt the birds of prey eat it. Not much of anything eats them, I am told cougars will. I have placed coon carcasses at active meat fed bear baits, coyote, coon and skunk with the bear and birds were there. (No vultures in those years) They rotted. They rot road side.

Far too many of the opportunistic game bird and egg eating predators.

Posts: 289 | Location: Western UP of Michigan  | Registered: 05 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The raptors seem to prefer the possum carcasses for sure.

~Ann

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Semi related story here. I heard this interview on the radio about 35 years ago from one of the last remaining members of Louis Armstrong's band.He said they were doing a show in Chicago in the 30's + even though they were the band they could not come in the front door,etc.The guy says that they showed us to our room on the 11th floor. Now Louie he liked to have fresh air in the room so he opened all the windows then we went down to do our gig.When we got back this coon had come in the open window + causing all kinds of grief;so Louie calls the front desk + tells them "There's a coon in my room"!The manager says,"Yes Sir,We'll be right up + throw that nigger out." + Louie says,"No man,I'M the nigger,there's a coon in my room."

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eastern coons bringing $15 average. Lots of work to flesh and put up. You can skin them and sell them that way but take about $10 off for the work and putting them up. Shame they don’t bring what they used to. I used to bring them whole and still get $30. Nice looking racoon none the less. Helps out the bird population to remove a few.

Posts: 1194 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If there handled right they are good to eat. I think it’s most similar to lamb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The ones with silver guard hair always brought the best price, the Blonds not as good. Haven't trapped commercial in many years. Back in the 80's prices were good, I still set steel, but only to eliminate the problem varmints.